Would this work?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyT

I had some extra parts hanging around from previous projects. Started to piece some things together and came up with this 4-bar set-up. I have never seen it done this way(Clevis's) and was wondering if it would work? Looking for some opinions good or bad, pros and cons.

Attachments

• 4-Bar.jpg
    4-Bar.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 58
Clevises are pretty strong.
I have a reservation about not having a suspension component setup in a double shear configuration.
Replace the clevises with heims and use a plate on both sides of them for the rearend brackets.
The way it is the bolts are being used as the pivot points and on a heim the ball is the pivot.

Clevises are pretty common for this application. The way your using them puts the fastener in double shear, which is what you want.

I had some extra parts hanging around from previous projects. Started to piece some things together and came up with this 4-bar set-up. I have never seen it done this way(Clevis's) and was wondering if it would work? Looking for some opinions good or bad, pros and cons.

The reason you have never seen that is because it won't work, at least not for long. A clevis is not meant to be a pivot point , it should be bolted down tight.
It should have Heims on both ends.

As the axle articulates, the clevis does not allow the radius rod to twist enough with only heims on one end either.
Even though they are grade 8, those are only 3/8 bolts too.

I'm not questioning anything thats been said previously. All makes sense and I'm trying to learn everything. So in a rear 4-bar set up it wouldn't be ideal but when using hairpins it's ok? Is this because the way the axle moves,arching vs. straight up and down? I'm just trying to get my head wrapped around it.

It is besause with in a hairpin set up the clevis joints are not moving. Sure they are moving up and down but they are not the actual moving part rather the the only real moving parts are the two joints of the hairpins that's are mounted to the frame.

On a four bar, both ends of the rods move up and down with the suspension movement. On hairpins or ladder bars, the point to where they connect to the frame is the only point that moves, the other end is mounted solid. I'd use heims on four bars, the clevises would be fine on hair pins or ladder bars on the axle end, with heims on the frame mount points.

Now if you had a way to join the bars at the front, and use a single pivot point, it would work fine.

Hope that is clear as mud! :D

Latest posts

Back