Wyotech

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldskoolmini

Starting next october I will be going to Wyotech. Has anybody here been and what is your input about it?

Another post!

I may be mistaken but I thought there was a post either here or at KB about this. The guy wound up with some expensive tools but couldn't find a job. They harassed him about paying, even when he couldn't pay. Do a search on both sites and I'm sure you'll find it!

ISore

I personally have not attended. Had to learn the hard way in a real shop.But many of my customers have been to that school and have never heard any complaints from it being a bad school.The tool issue that was posted above is not from the school.Tools that are purchased are from us distributors at half of the retail cost.They have a 7k limit.Tool box purchases are part of your limit.As far as not being able to find work.That is not true.If you make the grades that you are supposed to you will get a job.You have to be real hungry as far as wanting to work.Many shops look for these up and coming kids to come into the field.All my dealerships that I visit work with the school to hire these kids.They also have an apprentice program.Kids work part of the day and go to school part of the day.I deal with many Wyotec Graduates everyday.I have personally trained alot of these kids for the last Ten years that I was in the bussiness.Some real good smart kids come out of that school.I have seen many make it and some dont.The ones that dont are usually lazy or just hard headed and dont want to learn things the right way.The last kid I trained at Toyota is now at the Lexus dealership and making 29.00 an hour.That was only 4 years after graduating from Wyotec.I still see him every week when I visit that shop.

Last edited:
thanks. My dad keeps reading BS rip off reports reports about the school. I keep rying to tell him that is just the slackers that got ****ed they didn't get a $29 job when they got out.

Any education is good and only as good as what you make out of it. I think where the problem comes in is that graduates assume that as soon as they get their diploma they are ready to make the big bucks and have potential employers breaking down their door. That is not the reality.

I worked in the marine industry for the past 20 years, and we would get guys walking in all the time who had just graduated from a marine tech school and they had been fed a line that they were suddenly going to be in demand and make huge money. In most cases we couldn't use them because they lacked field experience, and the ones we did hire usually didn't last long because they didn't know enough to keep up with the guys who had been doing it for years.

There is no way to circumvent pure day in day out experience, and that takes years to get. The schools are teaching you in a very controlled, limited environment, but when you get into the field you will find problems and circumstances you never saw in school. Any employer needs you to be able to pull your own weight, and you will probably find yourself in an apprentice/trainee position when you do find that first job after school.

I had a young guy walk in our door a few years ago. He had just graduated from some marine school up north and came to Florida to make his fortune in the sun. He had been to a few places and when they told him he would be starting at $ 10-$12 an hour he was shocked. I had to give him the Dutch Uncle talk, and the last I saw of him he was heading back north on route 75. The school had pumped all this sales pitch into him and promised to "help" find him a job, and all they did was set him up for a big disappointment.

Go to the school, absorb as much as you can, but be realistic about your first few years after you graduate. You are not going to come out a seasoned, experienced tech.

Don

There was article awhile back in the L.A. Times. Mechanics are heading up the ladder pay wise. The article explained that there was a storage of mechanics due to the low graduation rate. Cars, nowadays, are very technical. The problem arose in reading and comprehension skills of new high school graduates. They found that the attrition rate of dropouts was over 50%.

High school grads are now entering Junior Colleges to learn the skills they should have learned in High School. My sister was a High School teacher, but she was failing 90% of her classes. When she told the other teachers that the kids couldn't read or write, she was told to just pass them. She refused and quit the teaching profession.

Anyway, good luck with your profession. On the west coast, we have UTI and see I a lot of job openings for mechanics. Matter of fact, friends of mine that own a shop, want to hire me when I retire and I'm just a shady tree mechanic.

now wyotech may be alot different but.....

i went to motorcycle mechanics inst here in arizona.Now granted i knew alot about bikes when i started (MY father owned 2 bike shops in michagan) but i was told by shops that i needed the paperwork to back it up.I spent $18,420.00 on this school,I attended for a year and a half im a certified harley-davidson and buell tech. I have a P.H.d certification too.......USELESS ITS ALL USELESS!

please letme explane ...there is alot of things that they tell you in the beginning that are not true

they say that there instructors have many many years of racing and mechanic experence.....well that part is true but what they dont tell you is that they cant tell you about it because they will get fired.Harley-davidson funds the h-d courses and they only want the students to know how to work in dealerships and how to do dealership things....dealers dont port heads or punch out exhaust baffles or mess with emission stuff i never wanted to work in a harley dealership and i REALLY DONT CARE ABOUT THE DRESS POLICYS!

Last edited:
i should have spent my 18 grand on books and tought myself what i wanted to learn harley would have pulled there funding if they found out that teachers were teaching from experiance rather than teaching what harley wanted
when i asked teachers questions i was often told "dont worry about that you will never do that in a dealership" i just looked at them stunned
when i asked a question about doing something on a bike i was often told too "go find a repair manuel" and the one time i said "i payed you to tell me how to do things i diddnt pay to read all your repair manuels(most of wich i had at home)" they sent me home.

now wyotec may be different but i made a big mistake by going to motorcycle mechanics inst

Latest posts

Back