You drove..HOW far???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fe2O3

Tell us about your road trips. One of the things I like about these cars is they are "REAL" you guys drive 'em & have fun with them. So how far have you driven? Any good stories about you trips?

With a dual quad tunnel ram and a 430 rear, I kept my trips somewhat short. Took a 3 hour ride to a show and broke a starter on the trip home. Car kept running and I couldn't shut it off.....burger king guy at the drive thru didn't find any humor in my keeping the car running while I tried to order food at the speaker with fenderwell headers and reeeeeeeaaaalll small turbo mufflers....some people have no sense of humor![S...CR:D

4-1.jpg

Not much of a long haul cruiser. For about 5 years I would make the trek to Goodguys in Des Moines, about 250 miles. Always took a couple grandkids along. State and county highways all the way. The year in the pic my son drove his black '27 and we each had a grandson aboard. (Not my son's kids, my daughters' kids).

Drivers only

i build my cars to drive and so do all my friends , and we do drive them . Every may long weekend there is a LOST IN THE FIFTYS car show in Sandpoint Idaho . and there is a group of guys that do this trip together.. Last year we had 21 guys and 16 cars go on this trip that is about 600 miles one way . It is a blast ! No break downs last year , knock on wood , but we have had our share of problems , from dead mouse carcases in the fuel tanks , to loosing a starter bolt on my flathead , and the odd fuel pump issue , and a wheel bearing going out .. Here is some pics ......

Attachments

• SDC10056.jpg
    SDC10056.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 48
  • SDC10057.jpg
    SDC10057.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 45
  • SDC10069.jpg
    SDC10069.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 42
more pics

Here is more pics of our Sandpoint run , the merc is my ride ...

Attachments

• SDC10100.jpg
    SDC10100.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 31
  • SDC10092.jpg
    SDC10092.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 45
A few years ago,I bought a 56 Buick special chop top in Orlando,Fl.The gas guage didnt work,so I stopped every 100 miles or so to fill up,on my way to Dallas,Tx.The trip took way longer than I had planned.My Bull Mastiff made the trip with me,so I would buy a bunch of 10lb ice bags for him to lay on to keep cool.Between all that and the constant picture taking sessions at every gas station,it made for a memorable trip.

I'm a roadster guy and as much as I love them they really aren't built for long trips. I've had my 27 and my 23 to Daytona lots of times, but that is only about 250 miles from home. Anything more than that is just too hard on your butt and mind. :) My 27 is not the same car it once was since I built up the engine and went to 4:30 gears, so I am putting together my rpu with a more tame Olds engine and 3:70 gears..........that one will be the one I drive to faraway events from now on.

I always swore that my cars would never be on a trailer, but the engine problems I had at Daytona this year have me rethinking that. In fact, we are shooting to get my Son Dans car ready for Billetproof in April, and it will be going on a trailer.......no way we are taking an untested car 300 miles, and the car will probably get something like 10 mpg if we are lucky. :eek:

Don

drivers

Oh come on Don don't let a little engine trouble get you down on driving your rides . They are built to drive . As far as gas mileage my 55 merc is running a 545 big ford with 411 posi and gets about 10 miles to the gal, i am building a 42 ford truck that i will take on long trips and keep the 55 to 100 mile radius . If you have to trailer then hide your trailer 20 miles from town hahaha...

Attachments

• truck floor 011.jpg
    truck floor 011.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 36
  • truck floor 012.jpg
    truck floor 012.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 33
I guess I don't drive far by some standards but I wasn't thinking "road trip" when I put my car together. I have made plenty of 600+ mile round trips in it but that's about as far out of town as it's been.

Here she goes down the road. Photo is outdated but it's the only moving pic I have.

in one trip! i went to nashvilletn memphis tn , and back home, not counting riding all over alabama north ga, 600 miles round trip! not counting the riding around the 4 days i was out there

Attachments

• rtd2truck.jpg
    rtd2truck.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 49
It's great to hear these cars & trucks are out being driven and not just down at the cruise night.

C'mon somebody must have a good story about a road trip. ;)

Rev. that is one sweet truck

thanks wrinkles! cant wait to get my new disc brakes on the front and put my new to me wire spokes on it! pics coming soon! then colorodo here i come, somewhere around june!

i forgot to tell that i had to sleep in the front of that thing two nights, once i a walmart parking lot ,with my feet hanging out the open door, and another night i wadded up with the doors closed at a truck stop, my feet on the door my knees in the air and i am not a little fellow!

Last edited:
My longest trip was from SF bay area to Las Vegas 1200 miles round trip. Alot of fun. I take alot of weekend trips to fresno in it, 400 mile round trip.

Attachments

• DSC_0132.jpg
    DSC_0132.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0060.jpg
    DSC_0060.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 48
This 47 Ford pickup I built in 79. Used a 70 Olds Delta 88 for the donor engine, trans and rear. This picture was taken in the fall and in late Feb.1980 I drove it to Daytona Fl. for bike week, about 600 miles. I towed a small trailer with my 52 Panhead on it. Had no problems til I got to Daytona when a wire inside the distributor broke. Fixed that and while heading for the camp grounds the trailer came loose, rolled into the curb causing the bike to fall over and put a dent in the gas tank. Local cop pulled up and I figured he was going to give me a ticket for something but to my surprise he helped me get the bike upright and hooked back up the the truck. The trip back home was incident free except I spent all my money in Fl. and slept in the truck one night, sitting up. Those were the good ol days!!
I scanned the only picture I have of the truck, may not turn out to good here.

Attachments

• scan (Small).jpg
    scan (Small).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 28
I drove a 76 455 4spd pontiac trans am from oregon to NH does that count? How about a jockey shifted Buell hard tail chopper (with a sporty tank) from NH to NC and back? otherwise all the hot rod trips are under 200 miles. [cl

Went for a drive one day and ended up at Cumberland Falls in KY. A little over 300 miles on a saturday.
Tim

Boy, how inconsiderate of that girl to just plop herself down on your car like that! Bet you told her off good, huh?????? :rolleyes::D:D You look VERY mad about it in this picture. :rolleyes:

DSC_0132.jpg

Don

Latest posts

Back