Your opinions requested on front suspension topic.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonMan

My new project is a 62 Ford pickup. This thing is bone stock, straight axle and all.
My goal is to update the front suspension for a better ride and to also lower the truck. I want disc brakes too.
This is a true low-budget project so keep that in mind with your suggestions.
I realize there are many options out there and I`ve done a couple Camaro clips before, but this time I`d rather not cut the frame off.
The options I know of are --- Mustang II front, Plymouth Volare front and AMC Pacer front. I realize there are also several aftermarket options, but that`s not in the budget.
So --- in terms of : availability, cost and ease of installation, what would you do ? Please elaborate.

TIA

mabie a dodge dakota fron ? there ganning in popularity and i have been wanting to try one myself some time.
I like the rackand piniun deal on them ,gives more room for a radiator .
But on a 62 wide body truck a camaro or trans am would be a ride and awsome handling,and mabie try some air bags for some thing differant?
Or mabie air bags on the strait axle thatsa already there?
Just have some fun with it!

An old timer I used to know used a pacer front end under his F100 and it worked out sweet. Ride was smooth, it was the right width and it was cheap too.

I had considered a cross torsion front end out of an 88 dodge cop car. It was a cradle that bolted to the car and had all of the components bolted to that.

Good luck,
-Mike-

I recently bought a 29 model A frame with a Corvair front end. I wont be using the front end so its for sale for $200.

I understand that these front ends were popular back in the day because they come out as a complete unit, crossmember, a arms, spindles, disc brakes and steering rack. All one unit.

It was just bolted onto the 29 frame. I will be unbolting it and unloading it.

For some reason I cant upload the pictures of it so send me an email and I will send you the pictures.

Just a thought.:D

you've got a lot of options for sure. It's real popular to swap out the old crossmember with a later model disc/power steering crossmember on the 60's through early 70's chevys. It easy though becuase they bolt right in. Would that be an option on your ford as far as a late 70's ford truck front crossmember? You may want to check it out. Lots of vans are set up this way too, you can find late 70's to mid 80's ford/chevy/dodge vans and trucks for miles at the local yard. Take a measuring tape and see what came with everything packaged as a unit and what is the correct width. I think as long as the bolt holes of the crossmember line up with your frame, any other needed frame mods are easy. I picked up my donor truck for $100 and it has everything, so i would say thats the cheaper way to go-the junk yard will nickle and dime you to death.

I can't comment on the corvair suspension because I don't have any knowledge on it. anyways, hope that helps.

Pacers are pretty wide,and hard to find now.
Corvairs won't be much easier to find.

Mustang II would definitely NOT be my first choice.

Some of the later model GM pick ups,the front crossmember bolts in.
Lower springs and spindles are available.

I was at the local "Automotive Recycler":) yesterday and I was looking at the 70`s and 80`s Chevy crossmembers. I just didn`t bring a damn tape measure with me. . . :rolleyes:
The `48 Ford I`m selling is sitting on an `83 C10 chassis. Guess I could go measure that. I`ve installed a couple of these under 60`s Chevy trucks and they are pretty much a bolt-in.
Funny you mentioned the Chevy suspension, I`ve had that thought in my head the past couple days.

my 64 ford pu has a Camaro frame clip in it and the truck sits with STOCK camaro ride.

Jim

Attachments

• 64 ferd 1.jpg
    64 ferd 1.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Back