vin #?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Wallbanger

is this the vin number for my truck? I Know it was military but if thats what itis how do you decode it? its the only number on the truck cab unless the others where in the rust flakes. and the frame got scrapped to find one on there is out.

Attachments

• vin.jpg
    vin.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 35
here ya go

well I was told its a 44 gmc military. I know its a gmc by the tailgate. when we got it the frame was pinched in front of the cab to make a trailer. it had about a 10ft bed and a single dually axle. the factory color found in placed a paint brush didnt reach was a dark green similar to the really old army green and not the olive drab. here are some unmolested cab pics and the number is at the very top of the firewall on the driver side. you can see the windsheild in the pic next to the shiney carriage bolt.

Attachments

• rat3.jpg
    rat3.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 18
  • rat5.jpg
    rat5.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 14
  • rat 4.jpg
    rat 4.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 13
  • tailgate.jpg
    tailgate.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 12
  • vin#.jpg
    vin#.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 17
vin number looks like a 46 to me but i may be wrong ?
also if it was a military issue truck it sould have a special letter on it (unless its diffrent in the u.s ??) my dodge(1934) was a funky green wich is close to a military green but was used for a drilling truck might just be it was a comercial green truck ?? hope you can find more out about it :)

The number on the tag is not a standard 1939-47 ID number.

The number should start with 1 or 2 number then 3 letter follow by a group of numbers.

Examples

5GDK10020
21GDK 10021

The first numbers are where is was built
The first 2 letters is the modal
The 3rd letter is the production date
The last grope of numbers is the production number/ID

You could have a military truck. As for the green color some of the Marine Corps truck were darker then the Army Olive green.

Ah, some info helps alot!

HOT40ROD is right. That tag is only the body ID, not the VIN. 1574 depicts the type of body/cab. The rest is the sequential # for that body type.

The vehicle ID tag should have been on the passenger side cowl/firewall. That tag would have the letters and numbers, which would break down as mentioned above, but I see it's missing.

rat3.jpg

A number off the frame could be decoded too, but of course that's gone as well.

Further research suggests that the 1574 cab was used in a few different military applications, with their own model designations.

- ACK, ACKWX, CCKW and CCKWX followed by 352 or 353.

I'm thinking it's an early ACK-353, like one of these,

ACK353cargo.jpg

ACK1939civilian.jpg

afkx352.jpg

ACK353.jpg

See if your body ID# can be cross-referenced against military production numbers. Try these links for some guys with military knowledge and info.

http://cckw.org/forum/index.php

http://www.olive-drab.com/

Hope that gets you somewhere. Good luck!

VIN #'s didn't arrive until 1969... old cars/trucks have serial numbers...and data plates. Big difference.

They need people like you in the Motor Vehicles office! You know, somebody who knows what the hell they're talking about. :D

"For the third time lady, NO! IT DOESN'T HAVE a VIN NUMBER!!!!!" :mad:

Carefull Doc...

They need people like you in the Motor Vehicles office! You know, somebody who knows what the hell they're talking about. :D

"For the third time lady, NO! IT DOESN'T HAVE a VIN NUMBER!!!!!" :mad:

You'll pop a vein!!! :eek:LOL ..... if there were people working behind the counters in most companies that really knew what they were talking about, I'd fall over with a heart attack.....fill the slot and worry about the details later....in the mean time.... you and I deal with that crap!! They don't have a clue and probably never will...

Latest posts

Back