Feeling Stress?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redidbull

I do not want to turn this into a political thread. That said does anyone else feel stressed from the things going on both in and out our country? The shootings for 1 but just the pure anger and disrespect. I was brought up in an Italian household where we were taught how to be polite and courtious to everyone. Where I grew up there was a mix of religion, races, and color and no one really even mentioned it. Now in some places if you are seen as different you are attacked. I just don't know what to think anymore.Also fear that SS and medicare is going away. We will live but I can kiss my car habit goodbye. Jim

Bad things have always been happening. What is different now is that we hear about all of it. Used to be that we only heard of things like multiple shooting if they happened in the area in which we live, if those things happened out of state, we probably didn't hear about it. The bad news was always shared only to the more local news outlets, not nationally like this stuff is being done these days.

Not saying it doesn't happen more then it used to, but the news sure wants to make sure we hear all the bad stuff, and its also presented in a way to push an agenda someone wants everyone to hear.

Couple that with 60 years of people pushing to lower the moral fabric from what this country was based on, and you get what we are seeing. When we went from "What you can do for your country" to "what do you expect your country to do for you" , we end up here on this slippery down hill slope. This is where we are, the national focus has become "All about me."

There are very few things that we really have any control over in our lives. About the only thing we really control is our own personal attitude. If you choose to go through life with a positive attitude, your life will be good, and bad things that may happen around you won't change your good attitude. No one can take that away from you, you have to give it up to loose it. If you choose to go through life thinking of all the bad things that have happened and how your life is a negative mess, your life is going to suck.

I made the decision years ago that I was going to do my best to be thankful for all the good things in my life, and to not be concerned about things that are out of my control. Things change all the time, but every day I wake up and am thankful for the good things I have, its a good day. Some days the only good thing on my list might be I'm still breathing and I have a chance to make it to the next day, when things will be different again.

Want to have a better day? Turn off the news, turn off the TV, tune in a radio station that plays the music you love with no news. All that national and international crap they are bombarding you with is all out of your control to change. Get involved with things at the local area where you live, those things you have the power to alter. Let the rest of the world continue to turn.

Great reply Gene, I don't watch the news for exactly those reasons, I live in the middle of no where miles from the mayhem of the city.

Excellent Gene. I am a very positive person and believe one of my problems is watching the news. I do think though that the world is a lot worse than it used to be. Internet has a big hand in this. It is so easy to be mean through a keyboard. I equate it to what we called whiskey muscle when I was younger and had that one friend that when he got drunk thought he was a pro fighter. Thanks and I am going to try to make some changes. Jim

I had a habit of watching the news while eating breakfast every morning before work for about 4 years, and when I got home. I would also go on news sites. Figured I should be informed.

For over 10 years I've stopped watching the news nearly entirely, and I only occasionally read the local paper.

The world still spins whether or not I keep up with all the terrible crap in the world, but I'm a lot happier if I'm blissfully unaware.

When I was trucking , I always had FOX news or some talk radio station on. If I wasn't listening to that, I was on XM Radio Classics, radio programs from before TV took over. Now that I'm retired, I seldom watch TV news, almost never turn the radio on, and read a little on the web.

I figured out, no matter how I felt or what I did, I couldn't do anything about 99.9% of what was considered news. I don't let stuff get me down that I have no control over. Like Gene said, stuff has always went on, many times we never knew about it. I don't vote in nomination races, I wait until the general elections to put in my say. I don't get bent out of shape when obvious crookedly behavior goes on, I feel like what goes down comes back to bite you in the tail.

There have always been wars, and always will be. Man is the stupidest animal on the planet , no other animal soils it's own nest like man does, no other animal misleads others like it to achieve power. There has always been the haves and have nots, the rich and the poor, there is no such thing as a level playing field, every person and their abilities are different. To take from one to give to another is theft and achieves nothing.

One more thing before I say too much, common sense is not very common anymore. Those with agendas push their desires on others without regards to common sense that many times what they are pushing will not work. Book sense is great if you have common sense to guide your use of it, without common sense you are an educated idiot. Those that blindly believe science fall into that category.

I better hush...

My grandpa told me about 70 yrs ago “Remember you can only change things that you control so don’t try to change the things you don’t “
Now I’m the grandpa [S

I do not want to focus on the negativity in the news but i also do not want be in the same quandary as the frog in the frying pan. Planning to sell off and move north while the market value of this house is still 5 times what i paid for it. Looking at smaller towns, cooler climate, more secure water, cleaner air, less crime, cheaper housing, farther from the migrant swarms coming across the border, fewer drug zombies in the streets. It won't make it to the news but meanwhile another tormented druggie is across the street in this nice middle class neighborhood walking aimlessly in circles, shouting curses at the passing cars.

Excellent advice Gene! I tend to lean towards the negative side but have been trying very hard to change that. There's rarely ever anything good on the news.

I'm glad the rest of you guys feel this way..... makes me want to try harder.

Thanks!

Earth man, I’d love to have you as a neighbor here in Bama! It’s probably cooler here in summer than where you are now, but you do have to figure in the humidity. It gets cold here in winter, but doesn’t stay cold but a few days at a time, and we seldom get snow. Lots of green forests and grass. I’ve got some property for sale right now, 16 acres with a 2 bedroom house plus two mobile home lots that are rented out. On a state/US two lane highway. 10 miles to the county seat with the most major stores, 5 miles to the little town I’m close to, about 50 miles north of Tuscaloosa, where you can find anything any major city would have. Out in the country, but not too far from civilization. I bet it would be a ton cheaper than what your current place is worth….

I watch enough News to stay informed but am fully aware that broadcast journalism is a business. All they really have for sale is bad news because that's what sells. I stopped reading news papers a long time ago because the majority of them spin everything in a effort to make me think like them. I'm capable of thinking for myself, just give me the facts and I'll form my own opinion.
I tend to listen to podcast of people who have the same opinion as me about what's going on in the world. Megan Kelly is very good however, something Gene said reminded me of one of my other favorites, Dennis Prager.

Here's a quote;

“Yes, there is a “secret to happiness” – and it is gratitude. All happy people are grateful, and ungrateful people cannot be happy. We tend to think that it is being unhappy that leads people to complain, but it is truer to say that it is complaining that leads to people becoming unhappy. Become grateful and you will become a much happier person.”
— Dennis Prager

https://www.prageru.com/video/ep-239-essential-lessons-gratitude

Thanks for the invitation Bam, but i have family out here. I can move about a hundred miles north to Cottonwood or Prescott and improve my situation considerably.

My wife and I found a gem about 50 minutes South of Prescott in Peeples Valley.
It'll take me a few years to get down there full time but for now, I can head down to thaw out in the dead of Winter. Today it was 35 here and 67 there.

“Yes, there is a “secret to happiness” – and it is gratitude. All happy people are grateful, and ungrateful people cannot be happy. We tend to think that it is being unhappy that leads people to complain, but it is truer to say that it is complaining that leads to people becoming unhappy. Become grateful and you will become a much happier person.”
— Dennis Prager

Totally right and well put

Latest posts

Back