Chev engine size?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevy guy

I just pulled an transplanted engine out of a truck for a future project.
The casting numbers 3970010 K12 tell me that it is either a 327 or a 350.
1968 3970010 327
1969-79 3970010 350

So how do I narrow it down between the two??

Look for ID codes on the front pass. side deck pad. If the block has never been machined/decked there should be two sets of numbers/letters stamped...

chevycode.jpg

Same location for big and small block Chevys...

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0667 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0667 - Copy.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 72
I have exactly that same motor in my shop. I bought an old Camaro drag car and the motor had those same numbers on the block. When I tore it down it is a 350 4 bolt main, so your's probably is too.

Don

camarostartteardown009.jpg

010 Blocks are common in 2 bolt as well as 4. As DR.C stated get the letters of the front pad and post them. Should be able to tell you what car, HP, Trans, Carb that was originally on the motor.

010 Blocks are common in 2 bolt as well as 4. As DR.C stated get the letters of the front pad and post them. Should be able to tell you what car, HP, Trans, Carb that was originally on the motor.

Thanks for the help guys. The engine was transplanted into a 98 Chev pickup so the big brackets and such for the alternator etc have to be removed to see the numbers on the front. I will get to that in a couple weeks after I do some more body work on my 50.

327 or 350 it's the same block. Both have 4" bore. The crank is what makes the difference. Measure the stroke.

The front pad on the engine I got didn't have the usual information on it. Someone had ground it smooth and restamped stuff like "5.7........030.....etc on it. Looks like the engine builder put that info on there when they machined it.

Don

The 0010 casting indicates 2 things only. A 4" bore and a large journal crank, could be a 302, 327, or a 350. Pull the pan and get the crank forging number to be 100% positive.

Latest posts

Back