15 year old getting ideas

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well im a 15 year old getting his license soon. i live in west bend Wisconsin. im sick of my friends bragging about their civics and 4 bangers. im looking to buy a 63 c10 with an inline 6 that's in running and driving condition,all except the breaks. he wants 1000 obo. i love the old c10s. im looking to use it as a daily driver to and from high school. i want to modify and paint it, all dreams but reality is i dont have the garage space and knowledge to work on trucks. i restore vintage snowmobiles and dirt bikes so i know how to work on things but automobiles are just a little out of my league. im mainly looking to to drop it off and have work done to it, yes i know its cheating but there is no way i could get it done in my limited space:(

i would like to drop it with out to much money spent and i would to have it painted sea foam green and sanded through so it rusts a little so it looks ratty

if anybody knows of people or places that i could have work done on it please let me know

thanks-mike

Hello Mike, welcome to RRR. your in the right place plenty of ideas in here:eek: you will find the help you need also[cl

Great to see a teenager interested

Welcome .
I remember when I was 15 .
It was 1979 and I bought a 1969 Chevelle from used car lot.They were everywhere back then.It was blue with white stripes.Best car I ever had.
If you can work on snowmobiles and motorcycles,old cars will be easy.[;)
They are very simple and easy to work on.
A c10 is a great vehicle.Lots of parts available,easy to lower and they run forever.I have been driving same chevy pickup every day for last 19 years and it has never left me stranded beside road.The old fords,chevys and mopars are tough as nails.
Good luck with your project.

welcome to rrr, go ahead and get the truck, and if you have to do brakes then go ahead and change it to disc, you won't regret it. all you have to do is ask, and someone will chim in and help you out. good on you for looking for american iron.[cl

Welcome to RRR! Good luck with the C10, I'd still do everything you can on it, if space is the issue, perhaps a friend or family member has space you could use for a short time.

Post up some pics when you get it!

Welcome to RRR! Fix the brakes. Drive it. Keep the salt cleaned off it. Work on it in the summer when you can be outside. Early 60's trucks were simple, no frills work machines. A basic set of tools and the internet is almost all you need. A reprint of the original shop manual would be a good investment too.

Glad your here, a place full of both practical and amaizing craftspeople. My first vehicle was a 63 ford with a straight six it got 20 miles per gallon no matter how many tires were touching pavement. We used to joke that there was more blood than paint in that truck but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Welcome aboard

Mike:
Glad you found the site these folks can help you with any questions. There is a zillion years of experience lurking on this site.
The C-10 I a great vehicle to start with. As the guys have said, if you can work on snowmobiles you can work on your truck. Some other suggestions would be to see if your high school or community college offers a class for automotive basics. Here you will learn about brakes, tune ups, maintenance, electrical, etc. of a vehicle. These are not difficult skills but it helps to know what NOT to do. Maybe your father or a friends father is knowledgeable. It never hurts to ask. Most of all never get in a hurry (safety first) and have FUN.
Steve

Welcome to the site...I like your choice of vehicle...If you get the truck you can learn along with me...I have started a build thread for my 65 GMC...If you have any questions feel free to ask I can answer with very limited knowledge...It is true I have only used a few wrenches and have almost all my front end body panels off the truck...This site has been a godsend for me all the guys/gals have been nice and really happy to help. The knowledge and understanding on this website has far beyond exceeded my expectations.

Thomas

Hi 15 year old

Glad to have you aboard on the rusty side of things. Dont bad mouth those 4 bangers I have raced then locally at the oval dirt track, mine is a Dodge Neon and those little cars are quick right out of the box. We are only 1 second slower than the big V8's in the Monte Carlos and they have about 4 times more money in them than we do.
On the rat rod truck tho....be prepared to be looked at funny with your old truck tho...and dont expect too much speed out of the truck either....They do make up the slow facter with the cool factor. Get the old girl home and get to tinkering with it. :)

MikeC

Welcome to the RRR!!!

Nice to have a youngin on the site..... don't let anyone deter you from doing what you want to do..... be yourself.... find your niche and go for it... when it is all said and done, what they say or think doesn't really matter anyway... sounds like a cool project.... I say go for it....good luck with your plan...[cl

Latest posts

Back