1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love these original touches! No cookie cutters being used here.The shock mounts in the grille mesh are killer.
402471-1.gif

Hey where did that fuel gauge come from?

Thanks Eman... Not sure what the original use was for fuel gauge... but it would have been for a huge tank.. I shortened the body of it a good 8" and need to shorten it more... and the float arm I shortened even more. The swing on the set up before I messed with it must have been close to 2 feet...

That radiator shell looks a lot like the one I have - except mine has the bottom cut off - do you know what it came from?

No extra points for me -where did the swoopy thing come from?

sure do.. mine is the original from my truck it can be found on 34-36 chevys Has yours been cut or is it just missing the lower piece..? it was riveted on

Shock mounts look great. So.....you lie awake at nite and think up things too, huh? lol:(

Sometimes I do!

Great work as usual Corpo! I am gonna take a stab at the bed filler pieces and say they are off of running boards(?). Keep after it!

Nope... thought about using those though.. but have a different plan for them.. got a plan for part of the fenders too

I would guess tin covers off 32 front frame!!

Great work keep us posted!![cl[cl

nope...!

thanks guys.. Im surprised no one commented on the fact that the mesh looks like it is touching the axle.. it kinda is.. got maybe 1/8" clearance.. im still working on that.. got some more tricks up my sleeve...

the fuel gauge look like the gauge that is on my mom's home heating fuel oil tank, 500 gal tank.

i would say the filler pieces are the bottom hood sides.

when i bought shocks they told me rod end up, body down. i dont know if yours are different, thats why i pointed it out.

the fuel gauge look like the gauge that is on my mom's home heating fuel oil tank, 500 gal tank.

i would say the filler pieces are the bottom hood sides.
could be dont know...

ding ding din.. winner! Passenger hood side reversed and put on the driverside.. i thought it was a nice way to finish off the bed and continue the body line of the cab

when i bought shocks they told me rod end up, body down. i dont know if yours are different, thats why i pointed it out.

yeah these can be mounted either way, they are technically race shocks and people mount them upside down as i did to reduce un sprung weight.. not the reason I did it but..

your grill mesh, is that aluminum window screen?

no its a woven stainless steel... the mesh is crazy heavy... ill get a close up shot so you can see how it looks..

Little update...

Got the headlights on.. although I think i need to adjust the one a little...
7f472e83.jpg

81ad523b.jpg

I was digging through some paper work from a few years back probably (5 years ago) and found these sketches of truck concepts when I was contemplating this whole idea..... Im not an artist so dont make fun of my sketches...

I think it has turned out pretty close!
96f7cec8.jpg

ba661327.jpg

I know it's your truck and all, but.....

I'm just not feeling the shocks. I was hoping they would grow on me, but they don't. The grill is an important styling feature on early stuff ....and the shocks being stuck out front, at an angle, is distracting to me. It is a big fat zit on a super model kind of thing.

I understand that those big ole tires are going to need real shocks, but there has got to be a way to make them less noticable. My $.02

Last edited:
CORPO I'm kind of with Flipper, I hate to say anything negative about you're truck! It's one of the nicest well planned rods I've ever seen!!!
But the shocks just seem too prominent!! They kind of overpower the whole front end!! The grill is killer, (still think it should have some lean though:rolleyes:).
Maybe with paint you could make them go away a little???

Anyway I don't mean to be negative just some food for thought, LOVE THE TRUCK, Keep it up!!![cl[P[cl

I don't know for sure on the shock mounts myself yet, but I would paint them before relocating and trashing what you just made.
It seems if you try to get everything perfect the first time, you end up cutting and refabbing some stuff that delays it driving down the road.
I have confidence it will turn out good whatever you do.

401ton

Thanks guys, my sketches arent great but allowed me to visualize the big wheels and see if it was going to work out in the end

I know it's your truck and all, but.....

I'm just not feeling the shocks. I was hoping they would grow on me, but they don't. The grill is an important styling feature on early stuff ....and the shocks being stuck out front, at an angle, is distracting to me. It is a big fat zit on a super model kind of thing.

I understand that those big ole tires are going to need real shocks, but there has got to be a way to make them less noticable. My $.02

haha.. cant please everyone.. I wasn't keen on putting them where I did but it is the only place I could do it. and I am going to need real shocks, I had considered lever arm shocks but after looking into those they are single action and I need to control the movement both ways....

So thats why I ended up with tube shocks... I even shelled out extra cash to get small bodied shocks. I wanted to put them next to the grill shell but that wouldn't work due to the length of the steering arm there would be interference when making a right hand turn...

Anyway the shocks aren't blue.. thats just painters tape, they are actually chrome which will help them blend into the grill shell a bit when I unwrap them.

Thanks for the feedback guys

How about mounting the shocks parallel to the frame somewhere, with cantilevers? Doesn't look like you're opposed to a little fabrication!:D

Thought about that but that takes up a lot of space.. I would have to redo the whole front end to achieve something like that..

Thanks eman and sugar...!

Corpo

I have been following this shock discussion with interest - I'm in the same boat of the '48 firetruck roadster.

Yesterday I looked at mounting the shocks horizontally - there's no room unless I put them inside the frame. I'd need some really skinny shocks.

I had decided to go with lever arm shocks if I can find some, but I didn't know they were single action.

My radiator support will not be strong enough to support the shocks like you did.

So, I'm still thinking about it and thanks for all the ideas.

Latest posts

Back