1940 spindles on model a axle, problems

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plymouth rat

problems, ive got a 1931 model a front axle and im trying to put on 1940 spindles, i have 40 kingpins, my problem is when i have the spindle on and the kingpin is on all the way but where the bolt goes thru the axle and kingpin, its not lined up perfectly, its out about 2mm and if i try to hammer it in it just tightens up the spindle to the top of the axle, do i need a 1940 axle or i was thinking of grinding a bit of the keyway in the kingpin to allow the bolt to go thru, what do ya think, thanks jeff , the model a kingpins are out by a mile, and too short...

Last edited:
No, model A is exactly the same all the way to 48. There are some manufacturing variations that you have to correct sometimes, and it could be that your new kingpins are not exactly to spec. Simply do some minor grinding to open up the slot in the kingpin. I usually have to take a little metal off of the retaining bolt so it slips in all the way. It hurts nothing to do that.

Don

thanks don ,i will try that, another guy told me i can grind the lip off the top of the king pin to drop it down more in the spindle, but i like your idea better, i will hopefully have it done tomorrow...thanks again

Latest posts

Back