1946 Panel Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpswino

Been planning this build for what seems like forever. Finally just gonna do it. I don't have the money to get too crazy with this build either so $$$$ will play a big role in my decision making. ;)

As much as I would love to build my own frame I just don't think its gonna happen. I'm pretty much on my own with this one and I'm tired of not getting it done so I decided this year I'll build what I can and just get something safe on the road. Then I can worry about "hot rod correct" later.

So, I had a 46' Ford Panel paid for and waiting on a top chop at the sellers business when he went out of business.......and my body just POOF disappeared, with the builder. This guy owes me and one day I will be calling on him to help me with something on a build to make it square. You know who you are so if you see this do the right thing, man up and offer to help me with my second one to make it Kosher.

About two weeks ago I found another up for sale and right in my town! This one is more complete so I assume its not the one I already purchased. :eek:
The seller sprayed the inside and out with some sort of high powered white epoxy to stop all rust! [S I won't have the truck in my work space until later this month as I need to get a Z-28 roller sold in order for it to fit.

034.jpg

Well, I guess that's good......but no patina now. I think I will rattle can the entire rig in some sort of hot rod brown flatz. Plan to do the motor and frame in black. I'll paint it all first so all of my work will expose raw metal again. The aged process and look will begin again. :D

As I mentioned, to make this build finally and actually happen I went and purchased a 1988 Chevey truck roller, damn near complete. Maybe not for some people, but for me this will make the build easier being I don't have to set up everything from scratch. I do however plan to modify a bit as I go. Somehow this is easier for me even if it requires more work.

I pulled the 1970 motor and tranny from the Z-28 and set it on the roller just to get a look at it. I built this motor in the late 80's before going away to school. It and the Z have been sitting in storage ever since. I'll get to the motor later in the build and what I will do to make sure it's ready to roll after it's two+ decade slumber with all new parts.

037.jpg

I want to run this rig fenderless. Yeah I know, IFS and fenderless don't go together. I'll deal with that as I go. I want to run down the highway easily and be able to tow my bike builds to meets with no issues so quality and stability in the ride are important to me. Besides, I'm keeping this simple if possible.
Gonna need to get a lowering kit for this running gear. It's WAY too high for my taste. My bikes nearly scrape in the corners! lol

Here are a few more pics for good measure.
This unsightly mess is gonna have to be trimmed and hidden behind a modified version of the stock Panel's grille.
040.jpg

No overdrive, I guess I'll be passing everything except gas stations!
003.jpg

Got these Hooker Headers for the Z-28 that I will cut up and modify for the new look in this ride.
007.jpg

YUCK! I wonder what it will take to clean this all up? I really want to move the motor back for the look I like. We will see how much room I have to do that when the body first meets the new chassis.
005.jpg

Might even try to chop the top and get the lid lower like on this wagon. I think I can handle a top chop with the help of you guys keeping me out of trouble.
009.jpg

Cool project. No problem using the truck frame and suspension.

Don't try to force it to be something it's not - keep the fenders on. If you want fenderless, find the right cab/body. It's not the IFS, it's the body style.

sounds cool

l agree with sam, that year and body style pretty much needs the front sheet-metal on it or it my not look ''right'' when it's done.

the fenderless look on panel trucks and sedan deliveries tends to lend itself to 1920-mid-1930 stuff.

l like the panel, cool looking starting point:D

big block chevy motors are a blast, l had on in my SWB 69 chevy truck, AND you are right about pass almost anything but the gas station.

Later :cool:

Really? Aweful lot of 40's Ford trucks out there fenderless. You must be referring to the back part not looking good fenderless?
Maybe I'm making a mistake then. [S

truck

most of the 1940-1950 trucks that are front fenderless rods are bobber-style or heavily modified, harder to pull off with a panel type vehicle.

Later :cool:

It's a lot like trying to make a 40's 4dr fenderless. They're just to bulky and don't really make sense. It'll look way better as a chopped and lowered custom rat. Go with that idea first and you can always pull the front clip off and see how you like it. And the big problem for me and IFS on an open wheel car is unless the suspension is moved far forward, it has a nose heavy look that is very unappealing even after you get over the look of a stock IFS.

Well, I will give it a go.
Plan to change some of the front suspension parts anyways with a lowering kit.
If I have room, the motor will come back about 12 inches to allow the pipes to come out and over the frame behind the front wheels. Everything ahead of the steering box is gonna go. Hopefully the set back motor and stock wide grille will clean up the front and hide the ugly steering box that sits forward. I will know more as I mock it all up. I've got my fingers crossed. [P

With what you have in mind I think you'd be better off using the original frame, if possible! I have to agree with the others about fenderless though!
Those old panel's are killer full bodied!! You will be able to learn a lot by mocking it up, good luck!!

Well, got the truck home. The pieces are a whole more rough than I first thought. [S
I have a truck load of work ahead of me! :D

I will post some pics tonight.

Latest posts

Back