1957 Volvo pv444 ....Rat worthy?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Just a small update:
I have decided to go fenderless, And build a new chassis for the car.
The old unibody just wasn't going to cut it for me. here are some pics of the body on my hombuilt dolly, Still have some cutting to do.

Im also trying to figure out how I want to do the rear fender wells.. cut them out and weld some new sheetmetel? maybe make it look like a 32 ford in the rear fender well area????

Some advice or ideas in that are would be helpfull..

Some pics....
SN850050-1.jpg

SN850051-1.jpg

SN850052-1.jpg

HELP WITH IDEAS PLEASE IN THIS AREA!!!! (Picture below)

SN850053-1.jpg

Have you got all the stock fenders ?

Maybe narrow them up a little,to keep the factory design influence;
and let the wheels hang out in the breeze.

OR.....

leave the fenders stock,and take a slice out of the middle of the body. :eek:

I would get your axles,and then make the final decision,based on their width.

How wide is the body ?

suggestions?

Lots of options, after looking at photos of the rear of the pv444's I think there is room for a Jaguar rear end.

Attachments

• 57 pv444 rear.jpg
    57 pv444 rear.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 29
  • jaguar rear end.jpg
    jaguar rear end.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 28
I think it will take a bunch of sheet metal work to make it look right without rear fenders. Personally I think it is too new to be a fenderless car.
It would help to get the aft portion of the wheelwell more like the front. Make it a semi-circle that has an even space to the tire size and placement. I also think the remaining inner fender area may need some cleaning up

There was a Crosley at Billetproof Michigan,with the wheels
hanging out in the breeze.Pretty sure it had the stock fenders.

Might be pics on the hamb.

Small update:

I have bought some parts for the rodent,

First I got this front suspension for $20.00!!! not sure what its from but it will work out ok I think with some fabrication. Im thinkin im going to fit the volvo spindle and hub to the straight axle, picture is below this one.
SN850151.jpg

"The volvo spindle and hub."
SN850158.jpg

Then I picked up this 71 chevelle rear axle, 10 bolt but it will work good.
Bought it off Evil-bay for $50.00 it was only 30 miles from home!!!
SN850154.jpg

Then I bought this running 305 with a th350 tranny for $150.00. also here in town.
SN850156.jpg

This picture shows the headers I bought from a guy at work... lol he was gonna scrap them.. I paid $5.00 for both
SN850155.jpg

Nothing was really accomplished since my last post, other then a mild mock-up just to see what it may look like.
I just bought a couple parts over the past few days though.. A pair of 15'' reverse rims ( they where chrome now just rust colored) Their solid but ugly right now, payed $5.00.
Also picked up a torker II intake for $25.00 and a holly 650 for $5.00

Well today I got bored afterwork while waiting for my dad, I built a grill shell for the rat.. not sure if I like it though...
Also just for fun I welded up some 1/2 thick gussets to the model t axle in the places that look weak to me.
(But after listening to you guys I won't be using this axle) IT was only $20.00 so...If anything it would look good hanging on the wall....

Well here are some pictures...

The grill...
SN850166.jpg

The Model t axle with gussets.. (agian I wont use this axle if you guys feel its unsafe)...
SN850165.jpg

and car pictures ( crappy mock-up but you get the idea)
SN850164.jpg

SN850163.jpg

SN850160.jpg

looks like a cool project! how about a straight axle front end a dually rear axle, bob the rear body work and a big old eight, with headers? hmmm

HA HA
That a great idea vwgulfguy.. Hmm lol.
Maybe down the road that will be done.
Thanks for your reply

guess i didnt look far enough ahead.............. i still think the dually rear is a good idea, my wife thinks im on crack

I would tend to agree with her...

But anyhow, I really do hope you reconsider running this car fenderless. It just doesn't look right IMHO, and would be such a neat little car with the bodywork still in place - ESPECIALLY sitting low on on a custom chassis. The fenders and grille surround are what really define this car as what it is and make it unique. Without them it is very non-descript, and loses a lot of it's personality. It really is just too new look right without fenders -it seems awkward and incomplete without them. It's a Volvo and it's COOL for christ's sake - be proud! The grille shell you made is pretty nice and you obviously have some decent fab skills, but once again it is just all wrong for this particular car. I'm afraid it's just going to get lumped in with all the other P.O.S. "rat rods" out there. A rolling "WTF?" with no rhyme, reason, or flow - just a bunch of random parts slapped together because they were cheap and available with no concern for design or aesthetic. My advice is if you really want a fenderless hot rod, then start with a good foundation for one. Sometimes you just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear - no matter how hard you try. It's your car to build how you want, but I hope that you don't look back and wish you hadn't ruined it. Once again I hope you don't take this as being too harsh, because it is not meant that way. It's just some honest advice from somebody who has been around a little while. Any way you go, good luck with your build and be SAFE...

P.S. Those Volvos closely resemble a smaller version of the '46-'48 Ford Tudor Sedan. Here's a couple raw ones that really scream HOT ROD - and they got fenders!!! :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

a.jpg

Honestly it has been a major thought to keep the fenders. This is why the car is'nt rolling on its own right now. Its a big decision for me and like you said.. Its my car,my personality.

If..IF I decide to go with the fenders... the rear fenders will be brought out about 3 or 4 inches and the gap filled with sheet metel. the front will be welded up also as a two peice front clip. fenders and core support/grill will be one solid piece and the hood will remain the same.

And if I do go with the fenders I will be using the original front axle assembly just make it wider.

Thanks for your input. it does help.

Please don't consider this "piling on", but I too think the charm in those old Volvos is that they look like a downsized 46-48 Ford sedan. There have been examples of fendered ones posted here that look really cool to me. If you remove too much of the parts that identify it as a Volvo, then it could become just a lump. It looks like such a nice, solid body, it would be a good candidate for a relativly stock bodied rod with an updated driveline and suspension. On the other hand, I see guys do wonderfully radical builds that in the beginning I never would have thought they would turn out successful.

Thanks Bob,
I will say this. after looking at the pictures.. They don't show my vision 100%.
The things that look out of place or dont match the car are being taken care of as I move along.
I have this vision for the car, Fenderless and it looks good.. some of the drawings I have done and just my eye for design (in person) feel right.
And I should also let you know I am a volvo guy and have been getting alot of crap from other volvo dudes about cutting this thing up. But I have an idea and im gonna jump on it.
And I dont want it to jump out and say VOLVO I want it to say wow thats sharp.. what is it? i dont know it almost looks like a bug... no a ford.. HELL I dont know what is it??? I want that!! I want something thats mine my design, my work of art. Not somthing everyone else has done time and time again.

I'll put it this way. Im a different type of person.. weird almost in my own little way.. why not have a car that fits my personality?

Please don't take my response as bitter or rude. Its just how I feel about this project.

Thanks guys
Erik Baxter/ SLiM

More power to you VR57! Good Gawd lets have some originality! Everyone wants to see it, few have the guts to try it. If it doesn't turn out like you want you can always put the fenders back on, paint it like an easter egg and show it at Good Guys.:D

Latest posts

Back