1985 K-member to a '41 Ply frame

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeRider

HELP! I stripped a 1985 Dodge Diplomat of everything that i thought i could use from cutting the whole front so-called frame rails & K-frame at the firewall, and keeping the motor/trans/rearend with springs, to use on my '41 Plymouth 4dr.Sdn.
My question has anyone used this type of front suspension on an old car? If so how did you do it? Cut the old frame off & fasten new rails to it? Or just notch the bottom of the frame & put the K-frame under it? Or build new frame rails to mount K-frame to?
If you have pics please show them.

Attachments

• hogging the garage too.jpg
    hogging the garage too.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Dip front frame motor out.jpg
    Dip front frame motor out.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Dip frame loose.jpg
    Dip frame loose.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 17
the only way ive seen it done is that you take the k member by its self clean it up and notch the bottome of your current frame rails and weld it in. now i did hear of a guy who slid his old frame rails into the frame rails of the k member i wouldnt recomend this. a straight vertical weld isnt the best you would have a lot more structual work to do to make it safe sliding the two rails together. notching the old frame rail to the k member is the best way due to its all a horizontal weld which evens out pressure when you are driving and hitting bumps and such and is less likely to crack apart if welded properly. personally i wouldnt be welding it with noting less then stick welding its the best penetration probably do 4 passes

Latest posts

Back