1st build, 1933 olds rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, i got my tranny back and installed. my buddy told me it had sat for some time. he said the fibers looked good but, some stuff in the valve body was froze and a piston in the tranny for the clutch pack was stuck as well. he rebuilt it with new fibers and steels, seals and bumped up the line pressure and firmed up the shifts. i tried it out on the jack stands when i got it finished and it hit second and third pretty good. i took it out on the road again, couldnt help it. i didnt pay to much attension to the shifts because i was watching everything else. i got a couple more things to do before i get my plates. still have to fab up the throttle pedal and linkage, windshield and odds and ends. i wore safety glass this time on the road, good thing because i got to watch antifreeze come out of the radiator and hit me in the face. i knew i had to install a puke bottle and i went on a search in the garage. this is what i came up with, an old outside light bracket with cage. im going to pick up a rubber cork for the top and drill a hole just below it so it can breath.

all005-1.jpg

well heres a allmost done side shot. i figured it was time to see what it looked like with everything on it.

all002-1.jpg

mean lookin machine for sure.. whats the hood ornament from..? I need to fine me an old winged lady for mine.. looks like thats what you got goin on

I just finished going through a bunch of this build for the first time. Great job, a ton of work. Its very cool that you put an Olds engine into this rod. They are great motors, gobs of torque.

Ian

OH YEAH ! Lookin' good, love the wheels, are they Rockets ? I just picked up a set for my 34 Caddy - So that's what the hood ornament for my car looks like, too kool [dr. (wondered where it got to [S LOL)

zzrodder, those are boss 338 wheels. yea thats an early caddy hood ornament. got it off of ebay for 40 bills, but it was in the states lol.

thanks for the comments everyone.

i got my rubber cork yesterday and installed it, still have to drill the hole for a breather on the tube. finished my template for the windshield, called the glass place and they told me to drop it off monday and i might have it back by friday, thats not what i wanted to here.

ive sat in it and drove it again yesterday, wife wanted to go for a ride, lol. that mirror i have on there is useless. i cant see shat with it. going to have to return the other one and get a droped one.

looks awesome gotta like your over flow, lakes, rims it all go together
more pics when you get time enjoy the ride

busch, there will be alot more pics as i do things, dont worry lol. well today we started on my rear porch. i did get some work done before the lumber crew came over. i did manage to get my alt bracket and adjustment done. tomorrow morning i will try to get the throttle rod, pedal fabbed and installed before they return at 9am. also got my pvc valve, some more vac line and air filter for the rod. i also got a new tranny dip stick to put in, its shinny right now but i might pc it satin black before the install. i better check to see if it will fit in my oven first.

well things are bad. the morot has a small miss. chenged the plugs again for a fresh set from the first fire up. i did a compression test and here is what i found.

1 140 2 132
3 125 4 130
5 132 6 118
7 135 8 132

this really sucks right now.

i got a lead for another motor w/tranny for 500 and he will ganentee it.

should i buy a reman, rebuild?

what to do what to do?

i just want to drive and have fun watching rubber necks all day

just do a rebuild on it. you will probably find bad guides and a leaking vale or some weak rings. Do a leak down test and you can listen at the exhaust, intake or oil breather. That will tell you if it is valves or rings. If it is valves then just have the heads re-done.

Compression

That motor will run on all of those #'s anything over 90 will work, sure its not perfect, the miss is probley from a vac. leak or carb may be too lean, get it running and check around the intake gaskets and the carb base for leaks. just spray some carb cleaner around everything while its running and if the rpm speeds up or the motor smooths out you found the leak, if you spray it in the top of the carb. and it smooths out, your too lean and need to ritchen it up.

ok, i had the numbers off from yesterday and there were.

1, 125 2, 130
3, 132 4, 135
5, 140 6, 118
7, 132 8, 132

this is with 1 side all plugs removed, carb at idle posistion.

today all plugs removed, carb wide open posistion.

dry,

1, 155 2, 150
3, 150 4, 145
5, 147 6, 143
7, 150 8, 144

with a teaspoon of oil in cylinders
1, 162 2, 152
3, 160 4, 155
5, 163 6, 155
7, 165 8, 150

so what do i got now?

i noticed when its cold the motor at idle sounds good. then as it warms up i start getting ther lifter/ rocker chatter. kinda like the lifters cant keep pumped up or the rockers are worn pretty good.

any input?

Since one bank is lower, makes me wonder if a heads was replaced? Over 90 or less than 10% below average is what I thought the rule was.

talked to an engine shop today. he said the rule of thumb was 10 to 15% on adverage. i also noticed that i had the vac advance hooked to a live idle port. i switched it around to a progressive port on the carb. i also noticed since i did that i got a little problem starting it from time to time, when it does start i get a puff of black like its loading up when it does fire.

me and the wife went for a 8 to 10 mile round trip just now, love it but i wish it was warmer. lol

it acts funny from just warm to full temp. it seam like the miss gets worse as i drive.

Latest posts

Back