29 A coupe questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
I friend has a 29 A coupe (or most of it) for sale. I have no pics but this is what I see:

rear half of body, no inner wheel wells, no trunk lid, has rear window opening part of roof

doors, rusty on bottom inside and out

cowl, rusty on bottoms, has windshield frame

no sub structures at all

no roof rails, has visor

2 frames, 1 rusty but good rear and front crossmembers, other very mint/solid

10 bolt rear axle unknown condition, complete

2 front axles, 1 A w/spindles, spring, pivots, other is 40 ford, complete with unsplit bones, spindles, brakes, spring (too wide, wrong for axle)

body is rough with pin holes near all the seams, will need the entire botom replaced at least 8" up all around.

million dollar question: what is it all worth? it is all apart and I think I can get it all for $750. Good deal up here in the rusty north east? thanks in advance for your input. And i know it will all be subjective due to lack of pics and all. [P

This may or may not help but it is the only pic I have of it.

Attachments

• a coupe.jpg
    a coupe.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 65
because she has this as well and I am trying to get it all as a package deal...

Attachments

• chopped 70 pu.jpg
    chopped 70 pu.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 40
Well where to start... [S

That's not a '28-'29 Ford in any way, shape or form. The doors are '30-'31 Ford, but for some reason are scabbed suicide to the rear section, which isn't even a Ford at all. Not sure what they are trying to pass off to you. I see a nightmare waiting to unfold here, and more pics may just bring it.

What you have there is a conglomeration of parts there that somewhat resembles a car, but would most likely never come together in any shape worth messing with. Oh sure - anything can be done. Some dreamers may tell you otherwise, but I speak from experience. I think money, time and efforts would be best spent elsewhere.

The '40 front end would be worth getting, but the body parts are too mismatched and too far gone to be worth anything other than yard art IMO. The rear frame crossmembers would be worth having. 10 bolt is junk. I would be REALLY hard pressed to give more than a few hundred for it, and that's just for the parts. It's not even worth calling a project...

You asked, so there's my $.02 :D

Interesting. This is why I asked (and should have taken my camera with me). Now I wonder if the cowl / back half is a Chevy or Dodge Brothers. it is only 30 min from the house. I will try and get back there monday evening and snap some more pics. Thanks for the input!

P.S. I take no offense to honest answers. it is why I asked in the first place!

I think you guys are right. Looks alot like this 31 chevy from the back. Now I see in my pic (assembled *sic*) that there is a reveal in the door under the window that is not in the body. Didn't pick up on it all apart in the garage.

Also the cowl has a square vent in the middle of it. How I missed that a model A has the fuel cap there and not a vent is beyond me. I did find pics of 32 chevy 3 window coupe that have the same rear shape and have a cowl vent. But i did find pics of ones without the vent as well.

Attachments

• 31 chevy coupe.jpg
    31 chevy coupe.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 31
John,
I've seen first hand what you can do with metal, so repairing, replacing, making parts and panels, I know wouldn't be a big issue for you....BUT...knowing what extra you learned from other members here, do you want to attack it, and (now I have to ask you), is that a fair price for the rusty north east? Not being from dry climates like some of our fellow members, I understand what you are asking, and personally, for the package with frames and axles...I don't think it's a "bad" price....but again, now knowing it's not what you were told it was, are you still interested, and if so, why not work the price a little more in your favor.

Just my rusty .02 cents

so the chopped 70 GMC she was asking $2995 for it. 355, TH350, shortened dana 60, 4 link with coil overs, runs and drives, bed and frame are mint cab is 95% rust free (floors are mint outer rockers have a few pin holes as does the front hood edge) 33X18.50X15 M/T pro streets.

Good:
runs very good
new brake parts
lots of good parts
registered
she has new M/T rear tires and tubes
has attitude!

Bad:
4 link needs extra plate on rear end (single shear on axle side)
wiring is hacked
no side glass
no heater
chop needs to be fixed IE: bracing in roof to fix crown
rear tires are crap (on truck)
front tires crap
lots of little tidy up stuff like missing bolts, crap battery cable ends,
tilt column is too long (or mounted wrong)
dents, dings scratches, *gasp* rusty spots (is this rat rods?)
interior is non existant

My last offer to her was $3200 for the truck, the 29/30/31 chevy/ford/pile o parts, and 2 sets of 15X14 extra steel wheels she has AND the new M/T 33X18.50 pro streets w/tubes. she was asking $3800 for all without the tires and tubes.

The coupe doesn't look like a Chevy or a Dodge. Maybe an Essex. [S

Look at the rear quarters and the roofline...

'29 Essex

1929essex2.jpg

1929essex.jpg

1929essexuntitled.png

If she can't come down $600 on that stuff then pass. You're overpaying as it is. I wouldn't offer a dime more. If you really want to spend that kind of money on it then she will meet your price. Let her stew on it. Nobody is going to buy it before you...

yea when I went back to talk to her she said she contacted the old owner and he said it was an essex. I think she is going to take the deal that I posted. That will put me in the coupe at $500 with all the parts, and in the truck $2700 with the new rear tires. The new tires and tubes alone are like $900 alone. she origanally wanted $3800 for all with no new rear tires.

a ton of work done to this one but it is an example of what a 29 essex can turn into...

Attachments

• slammed 29 essex.jpg
    slammed 29 essex.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back