33 Dodge, Scrounger Style!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 11
Didn't get much done today.
002-3.jpg

003-3.jpg

I finished my brackets for the want-a-be moon tank and spent the rest of the day fighting the steering problem. There is just no room. I may have it figured out but I won't know untill I get some bolts for the bracket I made that will hold the steering box. It's close. How close? Close enough that I had to grind a casting lug off the block to get it to fit.
013-2.jpg

Most of the day was making brackets and stuff. My plazma cutter tip burnt up so it was back to the old way of making stuff. Takes 4 times as long. I should have my plazma tip tomorrow.

Still using that old jack for 1/4 steel plate. It's keeps getting smaller and smaller.
011-4.jpg

Steering box bracket roughed in.
010-2.jpg

Day 12
I finished up my bracket for the steering box. Got it where it needed to be and welded it on.
012-1.jpg

016-2.jpg

The arm was bent the wrong way but after working with a reemer I clean up one side of the teeth and just flipped it over.
I still need to get the drag link on so I can adjust it where the arm needs to be so I didn't put it on the right way yet.

I had one sticky drum in the front so I went through the brakes and got them in working order. While I was in there I put my steering arm.
017-1.jpg

Day 13
Memorial day weekend so I have been hanging around the house. Not much work going on.
I was needing some u bolts and spring plates. a club member dropped off a set. The u bolts where too short but the plates will work. This will keep my rearend planted untill I get the rear suspension on it at a later date. I ordered the rest of my steering and front end parts and I'm hoping they will be here Tuesday or Wensday.

Day 14
Worked for a little bit this morning. I got the master cylinder bracket and pedal set up put on. I still have to cut the pedal and weld on my tab for my pedal rubber but I'll wait untill I get the floor boards weled in. I put the front wheels back on so it's back to a roller and figured out where my radiator will be mounted and how.
001-2.jpg

I was sitting here thinking of problems I myself have had since starting this build.
Lets see. I cought my shirt on fire while I was wearing it with the sparks from a grinder.
I have had two times where stuff got in my eyes. Nothing major I got it out
I have been burned while wearing welding gloves that have the thumb on one and and the index figure on the other burned out of them. So I grab a hot piece and forget about the holes in the gloves.
Had the body hanging from the rafter with some rachet straps and I released one that was under preasuer and it snagged the inside of my finger and sliced it.
had a cut off wheel break and pieces of it got me in the leg.
I was drilling a piece of 1/4" plate with a hand drill and it ripped the steel out of my hand and flipped it into my ribs and give me a cut.
The next day like a dummy I did the same thing only to get cought this time between the legs. Yeah I went down.
Insides of my arms look like a junky from all the welding splatter.
That not as bad as the big piece of hot slag that fell into my shoe while I was welding. That was fun!
Had to pull some wire out of my chest from where I was wire wheeling the frame and the wires where shooting off the wheel. By the way catching one in the nipple really hurts.
Cuts here and there, burns and a nasty bruise on my leg from what I have no idea. This is from me being safe. I wear a face shield when I'm cutting or grinding and always wear gloves. Just think if I didn't watch what I was doing. lol..

Day 15
I have a few radiators but I'm not sure they would keep the 454 cool. I didn't want to go through the hassle of making mounts and putting in something I'm not sure will work. This big 4 core is almost new and will work great. One problem, it won't fit up front. That's fine with me. We will toss it over the back wheels. Little more weight off the front and into the back.
I got a little bit done before I ran into another snag.
019.jpg

020-1.jpg

I welded 2 pieces of angle across the frame for a bottom sill for the radiator.
022-3.jpg

I bought a few extra cut off disk. I went through them trying to get a notch cut for the radiator. I ended up binding them and sent them flying into pieces. I did manage to get the notches done but couldn't make the rest of the mount for it because I had no more disk.

It's only been 2 months since this engine was running but I'm like a little kid wanting to hear it fire.
http://www.youtube.com/v/zTyj0K4PfN4&hl=en&fs=1

It started and shot a bunch of transmission fluid all over the floor. After I walked around to the other side I seen the oil. I forgot that there was no gauge hooked up so it shot oil from the open sending unit hole all over the ground too. I guess that's what I get for not waiting. lol
024-1.jpg

Since I didn't have any cut off disk I went ahead and changed the fuel pump. It was bad and I had a new one in the box sitting on the shelf.

Day 16
I am trying to find stuff to do now. I have to wait on mail order parts so not much can be done. I worked on the fake Moon tank for a little bit and then started on the back door. When I raised the wheel well up it sent everything out of wack. I had to chop the door to match the wheel well.
001-3.jpg

002-3.jpg

I managed to get the door cut after taking a little off at a time to make sure I didn't over do it.

003-2.jpg

Alot of stitch welding. It becomes a game to see if you can get a decent weld without finding a weak or thin spot.
005-2.jpg

As you can tell it won't be a 4 door when it's all said and done. Loosing that center bar makes me pretty happy. I always wanted to do that to my 34 that Vickers has now.
006-2.jpg

The hard part about making the back a one piece window is that the top doesn't go straight across. I had to cut out the pillar and then pie cut the sheet metal and pull it up so it would go straight across.
007-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

Spot welded in.
010-2.jpg

I tossed on the front door just to make sure my welds wouldn't mess with the front door closing right. I wish I had a nicer door. This door is off of a 33 Dodge truck. It's the same as a car other than the top of the door is rounded off on the corner. I'll just make the other side match this one.
011-2.jpg

lookin' good

hey, nice to see ya are gettin' the dodge done. :D l thought ya was gonna do the two door thing like mine:confused:

sounds like ya been busting you'er hump to get it done:cool:.

on mine the plan this week is to get the body to frame mounts done[;). got the motor mocked up this week and it looks goooooooood.

keep pumpin' on 'er[dr

Later :eek:

Last edited:
I've been keeping an eye on yours. No more 4 door on this one. I always wanted to do a panel in the 34 I had. I guess this one will get the panel.:D

coooool

when there done we should meet somewhere in the middle of the country and have coffe or whatever ya drink, find a car show near by and spend the weekend with 'em parked side by side at the show[cl that would make'em ask ''WHAT DID YOU TWO DO?'' nahahhahahahaaaa:D

with your'ers having 6'' removed from the middle and mine being shorend 8'' in the rear doors, the contrast with the 2 side by side would ROCK!!

Later[ddev

ya!!

l' bring the motorhome so we'd have place to stay and eat and sleep, have the girfrien drive the MH and me the dodge[cl

sent PM

Later[dr

This thing is crazy love the almost everyday updates I wish we had old iron up here the oldest I ever find is 48-53 chevy pickups I see a lot of them anyways I'm hoping to get a 49 or 50 suburban soon anyways keep up the good work

Latest posts

Back