39 Ford sedan rear end width

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genosslk

Ok guys..... what rear end width are you using for your 35 to 40 Ford with parallel springs? Where are you measuring from and what back space wheels are you using?

thanks

Only correct way to do it is to buy your wheels and tires first, slip them in place where they look and fit right, then measure the distance from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. Then find a rear end or have one made that fits that measurement. You can get close by putting the rear end in first, then ordering wheels to position them in the right spot, but it is easier to get the wheels and tires up front.

Don

what rear end ??

Don is right get the wheels first, then find the rear end, I didn't ask before I built mine, so I ended up with 2" backspace wheels and 2" spacers, I dont like it, but for now it works, you can get wheels in any backspace you need from 2" and up, but not many under 2".
Good luck with the build and keep us posted, ask all the questions you need and ask first before you build and end up having to rebuild.

The Chassis Engineering kit calls for a Granada rear which is 58 inches hub to hub. I was using a maverick rear under my 1940 ford sedan that was 57 inches hub to hub with 7 inch wide wheels and everything fit good under the car. The wheel had a 3 1/2 offset.

Under my 36 Ford pickup I am using a 68 Mustang rear that is 59 inches hub to hub. But I am using a 10 wide rim with a 4 1/2 offset with either no fender or wider fenders.

They do make 3 1/2 inch wider fenders for the 38-40 Fords if you want to go with wider wheels.

Latest posts

Back