41 p/u build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shockley_67

everyone asked for pictures of what i was working on when i posted my intro, they would not load because they were too big and i was not smart enough to resize them. my son was in town this week and did it for me lol.
i found out my bosses father-in-law had it and it had been sittin in this spot for about 15 yrs. he made me what i thought was a great deal and it even came with the original title. i have all the front suspention pieces just looking for breaks and picked up a nice set of 35 ford spoked wheels at Turloc, my wife spotted them and made a bee line for them pulling me (nice when the wife is into it). while my son was here for the week from spring break at sac state we did a 2x4 wood mock up of the chassis. as best i can tell so far is its still sittin too high even with a 4" z in the front so i will be sittin on a stool staring at it for a bit trying to decide what to do.
scott.

Attachments

• 069.jpg
    069.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 52
  • truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 114.jpg
    114.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 49
the truck is pretty complete and i am only going to be using the cab and possibly the headlights, so if there is something that someone may be able to use let me know and i will try and pass along a good deal.
one thing i am looking for is another headlight ring i am missing one so if you have one or know of one i would be interested in purchasing it.

everyone asked for pictures of what i was working on when i posted my intro, they would not load because they were too big and i was not smart enough to resize them. my son was in town this week and did it for me lol.
i found out my bosses father-in-law had it and it had been sittin in this spot for about 15 yrs. he made me what i thought was a great deal and it even came with the original title. i have all the front suspention pieces just looking for breaks and picked up a nice set of 35 ford spoked wheels at Turloc, my wife spotted them and made a bee line for them pulling me (nice when the wife is into it). while my son was here for the week from spring break at sac state we did a 2x4 wood mock up of the chassis. as best i can tell so far is its still sittin too high even with a 4" z in the front so i will be sittin on a stool staring at it for a bit trying to decide what to do.
scott.

What is still sittin too high ? How about some pics of the wood mock up etc. Are the front suspension pieces the stock ones ?

What is still sittin too high ? How about some pics of the wood mock up etc. Are the front suspension pieces the stock ones ?

no i am not using the stock suspension pieces, i have a 4" dropped I-beam with split wishbones and spring over with reversed eyes. i mocked up the front axel and spring and compressed it as best i could until my hangers were about a 45 degree angle and measured all up with the radius of the size tire i plan on using to get an idea of how high my front crossmember will be. using 2x4 tubing with a 4"z and channeling the cab to the bottom of the frame it leaves the cab roughly 9" off the ground. that seems a bit high to me. i also need to consider it was getting late so its very possible i miss calculated something and i have not had a chance to get after it this weekend.
i want it low as possible, i dont mind taking speed bumps and driveways at angles i just dont want to look for a way around them.

Looks like a solid one to start with Shockley, glad to see you're getting after it. I'll be watching this one![P

thanks Mike, it is pretty solid just a couple usual spots that need replaced. i got your PM and want to give you a call to get over and check out your truck. maybe this coming weekend if your going to be around.

no i am not using the stock suspension pieces, i have a 4" dropped I-beam with split wishbones and spring over with reversed eyes. i mocked up the front axel and spring and compressed it as best i could until my hangers were about a 45 degree angle and measured all up with the radius of the size tire i plan on using to get an idea of how high my front crossmember will be. using 2x4 tubing with a 4"z and channeling the cab to the bottom of the frame it leaves the cab roughly 9" off the ground. that seems a bit high to me. i also need to consider it was getting late so its very possible i miss calculated something and i have not had a chance to get after it this weekend.
i want it low as possible, i dont mind taking speed bumps and driveways at angles i just dont want to look for a way around them.[/QUOT

Are you mounting your spring under the front cross member as in "stock" or are you mounting the spring with a perch as in "suicide " style ?
'

i will be mounting it "stock" under the front cross member. i have a 32 style cross member i will be welding in when i build the chassis.

i will be mounting it "stock" under the front cross member. i have a 32 style cross member i will be welding in when i build the chassis.
When building a frame with zees -front and back - you are actually building 3 separate sections . You need to know your scrubline so you can make the cab as low as possible and still be safe . This is not hard when starting from scratch . You need to know your front and rear wheel sizes _tire size does not matter as far as scrubline is concerned . On a flat concrete surface - your garage floor works good - put your wheels - F & R - on your axles ,with out tires and sit them on the floor . The floor then becomes equal to the scrub line , set your cab frame and or cab at least 1/2 inch off the floor , this means if your tires go flat your cab will still be 1/2 " above the ground ( scrubline ) . If I am making sense to you and want me to continue I will .

When building a frame with zees -front and back - you are actually building 3 separate sections . You need to know your scrubline so you can make the cab as low as possible and still be safe . This is not hard when starting from scratch . You need to know your front and rear wheel sizes _tire size does not matter as far as scrubline is concerned . On a flat concrete surface - your garage floor works good - put your wheels - F & R - on your axles ,with out tires and sit them on the floor . The floor then becomes equal to the scrub line , set your cab frame and or cab at least 1/2 inch off the floor , this means if your tires go flat your cab will still be 1/2 " above the ground ( scrubline ) . If I am making sense to you and want me to continue I will .

well looks like i have over thinking some things trying to measure things out. i understand the scrubline but the way you explain setting things up make it easier to visualize and get a better end result.
looks like i better locate those f100 hubs i have been trying to find so i can mount my rims so i can get going in the right direction.
as far as me wanting you to continue, by all means anything you can add is helpfull. its always nice to hear input from others that may have more experience.

Thank You..
Scott

well looks like i have over thinking some things trying to measure things out. i understand the scrubline but the way you explain setting things up make it easier to visualize and get a better end result.
looks like i better locate those f100 hubs i have been trying to find so i can mount my rims so i can get going in the right direction.
as far as me wanting you to continue, by all means anything you can add is helpfull. its always nice to hear input from others that may have more experience.

Thank You..Scott
Scott

OK Scott, after work tonight I will post some more info . After measuring and remeasuring I still did mine wrong . So my info is coming from my practical experience which includes a lot of DoOvers . Later ED

It will be importent to know the distance between the bottom of your front axle and the top of your spring ( where it attaches to the stock crossmember ) when it is fully loaded . I will go out to the garage and measure mine . There has to be lots of guys with similar set ups on RRR , if you get a good sampeling of what theirs measure along with what their engines weigh you should be able to come real close to what yours will be . Maybe a post in the suspension section will get the needed info .
I see you kinda asked this question allready maybe another try asking for the actual distance will get some more replies .

Last edited:
got my front hubs and brakes delivered last week ( f100 ) and plan on mocking up the front end this weekend so i can get a measurement on the width so i can look for a rearend and start my chassis. the truck came with the original pink slip i got the vin verification done and then got a certified weight. figured i had all my ducks lined up and headed to D.M.V. after work to stand in line. the new problem is that i dont want to give up the original pink, if i had not told them i had it and just filled out the who/where/when form i would have come home with new paper work and plates. oh well looks like another trip to stand in line to play the game.

Latest posts

Back