'48 Olds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kinda liked the old headlight, oh well guess ya gotta be legal. I still think it will fit into one of those "compact" car parking spots. looks great.

Hi Sam,
I'm Spider I have a 1946 Oldsmolbie Dynamic 4 door which I Chopped,
it's a lot of work.
In the photo is one way to get the back down, how you do it is up to you,
but I have a lot photos. I chopped mine 4"in the front and 5 3/8"at the rear.
And I DO LIKE your car.
All the best Spider

Attachments

• RH side.jpg
    RH side.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Old rear.jpg
    Old rear.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Start Welding 3.jpg
    Start Welding 3.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 68
Thanks Spider!

I decided against leaning the rear in because I wanted to keep the quarter window as big as possible and it wouldn't work as well with my planned section.

If I ever do one again, I would separate the outer skin from the inner structure on the A-pillars. That snowballed on me. I'd also get it outside and look at it from a distance more often.

Thanks Spider!

If I ever do one again, I would separate the outer skin from the inner structure

Yeah--it sure seams the inner structure of this sortta work gets in the way.

Would it simplify a build to skin a body --keep the corners and edges--then slice/dice/tack together--build an inner form and solidify the body??

You have a gift of making the small details fit the big picture-- Do you have a pretty firm plan and make the body fit, or is this just building itself? Is this an intellectual endevor or an emotional one?? Howyou doin this??

I'm moreNmore impressed.. Exceptionable.

Thanks for sharin.

PA

Just the inner structure for the A-pillars. It made it real complicated to bend the pillars where they needed to be. Otherwise, there isn't really all that much inner structure that gets in the way.

This car sat in my yard for a year before I got on it, so I had a fairly firm plan. I had to leave the details of how to finish the rear until I got to it. No way could I have planned out the trunk before hand.

And I originally thought I would need to cut the roof lengthwise, but when I popped the top, I saw that wouldn't be necessary, so the way I wound up aligning the A-pillars wasn't as well planned out.

Intellectual or emotional?.... Both! I'm on a journey to reach total rat rod enlightenment. :D .... Come on PA41! You're buildin' a roadster from a Bentley and you're askin' me?!

BTW, I drove it around the neighbor hood a few times yesterday. May do it again today. Time for some shakedowns.

When you reach total rat rod enlightenment do you expect to be at peace or just unstoppable ? I expect unstoppable. You are in it way to far to ever be at peace. Long live the build !!

....open your mind..... feel the build.... become one with the rust .... only then can you begin you're journey to rat rod enlightenment young grasshopper...

I now need to go sit in my car and meditate while making car noises. Varoooooommmm..... Varoooooommmmm......

I've been wrapping up the wiring and a lot of little necessary stuff lately. I did put a couple of my air gauges into the glove box (I ran out of air line so the third gauge will have to wait)

But after cruising the neighborhood a few times, I found my water pump making noise so that's got to be fixed. :( And I tracked down my starter has got a 10mA draw on it all the time. So fer now I have to disconnect the battery until I can get to replacing the starter. Or I could wire in a Ford starter solenoid since the starter seems to crank ok.

I hooked up my horn too - the chain on the column. Hey, I got air, might as well use it. ;)

Also got my gas tank in - the old Cutlass tank. It fits fine, but when the car is laid out, the tank is less than 2" from the ground. That won't work next year.

Oh yeah, the red and blue switches are temporary, as well as the hand mirror. Although I kinda like the hand mirror.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP0653a.jpg
    IMGP0653a.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 217
Hey Sam, I believe it's about time for a video so we can see that thing oozing down the street and hear them airhorns :cool::eek:[cl[cl
Oh and, is that mirror on the dash for looking out the back or watching the smile on your face:confused: [ddev:D

that view out of the wind shield is awesome! reminds me of a tank or a bomber wind screen. nice pic!

The Ford solenoid is a good idea -keeps it simple. I always add a hidden master cut-off shwitch on the positive battery switch. Saves disconnecting the battery and makes it hader to steal.

Well, I missed taking Monstro to the Torque Fest, but hope to get it to some other local shows. Welded up the trunk skin today.

Other stuff I've done lately:
Replaced the water pump and had a radiator leak.
Mounted my air horn.
Cut a hole to access my rad cap.
Fabbed a air cleaner base.
Finished the main wiring.
Secured the battery tray.
Hooked up my air compressor.
Hood latch and release.
Rear interior pans.
Gas tank installed.
Electric rad fan.
Move my 5 pipes forward an little.

Here's some random pics from Gepetto's work shop....
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP1414a.jpg
    IMGP1414a.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 193
  • IMGP1438a.jpg
    IMGP1438a.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 184