'48 Olds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I'm glad it interested you MACKAZ. I don't know about legend, maybe legendary refusal to know when to give up?

Last edited:
Moving slowly in reverse, but still moving... Just about ready to pull the body back off so I can finish up the frame tid bits and fix the rockers.

I trimmed and welded up the front frame horns as much as possible:
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP3039a.jpg
    IMGP3039a.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 245
Got a question for you Sam. I'm working on a 40 chevy coupe, getting ready to set my radiator up! It's also got a camaro sub!
Was wondering if the height of you're rad. suport was about right? I need a good starting point!
Also what kind of radiator did you use? I've been doing some measuring, and although I know the old coupes use a very narrow rad., I'm pretty sure I can use a 65 mustang!! If you've got any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it!
Thanks ahead of time, Rainman!! Wayne!!

Btw the 65 66 mustang rad is about 19 inches wide!!

Rainman:
I used a G-body clip - not sure they are the same as the Camaro, but close.

I installed a 66 Mustang repro radiator. It was the only thing that I could find to fit next to the P/S box. Go back a page and there is a picture of it. I had to use a electric fan since my motor sits so low. The 1x1 bar in the above pic is where the original radiator support is located. I had to push the radiator forward about 4" from that and also sideways about 4" to clear the P/S box.

Keep in mind, I lowered my body several inches on a Z'd frame, so I had to cut my original rad support shorter and also notch it around the P/S box.

If I did it again, I'd try a rack & pinion.

You should at least have the fenders/grille in position before you place the radiator.

Did you ever get pictures to upload?

Last edited:
Rainman:
I used a G-body clip - not sure they are the same as the Camaro, but close.

I installed a 66 Mustang repro radiator. It was the only thing that I could find to fit next to the P/S box. Go back a page and there is a picture of it. I had to use a electric fan since my motor sits so low. The 1x1 bar in the above pic is where the original radiator support is located. I had to push the radiator forward about 4" from that and also sideways about 4" to clear the P/S box.

Keep in mind, I lowered my body several inches on a Z'd frame, so I had to cut my original rad support shorter and also notch it around the P/S box.

If I did it again, I'd try a rack & pinion.

You should at least have the fenders/grille in position before you place the radiator.

Did you ever get pictures to upload?

No never could, finally quit trying! Thanks for the info, must have missed that earlier pic! Yeah I was also wondering about the lowering of the body, I'm not going that low! What I'm building is actually more like a 70's streeet rod type car! It will be my wifes! As far as room for the PS, I think I'm good there, it's more a question of width for the rad. and getting a starting point for the lower mounting point for me!!
BTW Love the car, keep us posted, if you think of anything else I'm open! ha ha
Thanks again!

After going back and checking out you're other pics, I don't really think it's going to be all that similar! You seem to have more room out front, I might have a little more towards the rear! But I like how you'res is looking, keep it up!!

I was so caught up in your work and progress posts that I didn't realize you were from Davenport until I got to page 37 and seen your license plates. :cool:

Great build. I'm into Oldsmobiles and currently looking for new project to start this spring.

Maybe I can see it in person at one of the North Park cruises this coming summer.

Brian

Had it to a couple local shows this year - Hooters and the Flying Eyeball. I hope to get working on it a lot more after the holidays, so maybe you can stop by and have a look see then.

...and welcome to RRR!

Had it to a couple local shows this year - Hooters and the Flying Eyeball. I hope to get working on it a lot more after the holidays, so maybe you can stop by and have a look see then.

...and welcome to RRR!

Did not make any shows last year. Spent most of my time on the river. I have a houseboat over at Sunset Marina. Really Missing the car thing, especially in the spring and fall when its to cold for boating. I had a 72 Cutlass, Dad has a 66 Chevy II SS, and my son has a 73 Lemans Sport Coupe.

I'm not interested in going fast anymore, I just want an attention getter with some attitude that I can drive to shows, the marina, or work anytime I want!

Looking at a 34 Olds Sedan right now. Its already finished per say, but I will Probably take out the SBC and TH350 and replace it with a 350 Olds with dual quads, and a 200 4R overdrive trans. I have some custom Exhaust flanges that I had made for making my own turbo headers when I thought I was going to build a Blow Thru SBO's. Also considering a 54-57 Olds.

Just cant make up my mind yet! [S

Do an Intro and post up some pics of that muscle - lots of muscle guys on RRR too. 57 Olds is one of my favorites - the quarter windows and the tail end. And if you collect Olds parts, I've got a TH200 BOP you can have for free....

Finally getting back to it. Time to tackle the rockers. The plan is to cut out all the rot and replace it with a 2x3 chunk of angle welded to the step plates and the outer skin. Also, trimming an inch so the bottom edge will match the bottom of the chrome strip.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP3075a.jpg
    IMGP3075a.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 227
  • IMGP3071a.jpg
    IMGP3071a.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 224
  • IMGP3072a.jpg
    IMGP3072a.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 223
Time to get some work done... [;) Got one rocker patched, tacked, and welded on the outer side. It's 1/8" angle welded to the bottom of the step plates and the rockers. BUTTTT.... now I need to flip it. (since I can't weld upside down) - that's gonna suck.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP3102a.jpg
    IMGP3102a.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 203
  • IMGP3106a.jpg
    IMGP3106a.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 205
Very, very cool!

Man Fear what a lot of work and the results are getting better all the time. You should be very content with what you have done to make that Olds look just bitchin'. You have the talent and definitely the skill. Thanks for posting your build for all of us to see. Amazing work. This is what "it" is all about. Congratulations. Steve

Well, didn't want to weld at 90 degrees, so decided to roll it on over - try that with your show car! (dented the roof a little - that's OK, not finished beatin' on that part yet anyhow) Spent today finishing up some little things on the frame I couldn't reach previously.

Oh yeah, when I went junkin' for the couch cushions, I think a guy and his son were confused when they saw me pull up, jump out and throw the cushions in the truck, then hop in and drive away. [S

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP3109a.jpg
    IMGP3109a.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 236

Latest posts

Back