49 gmc chop question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalman

I'm chopping my 49 4 inches and i am wondering if I am going to have to section the top of the cab, or in other words, cut the roof across it and skin it back together or just cut the 4 inches out of the cab and be okay without cutting the roof in half. The cab looks fairly straight up and down in the back and so therefore thats why I am wondering. If anybody can shoot some advice at me, please do so and thanks a million.[;)

You can lean the windshield posts back and not cut the center of the roof skin. But most times it is cut across the top of the cab and sectioned in. When I chopped mine originally I leaned the posts back, I liked that look better than making the roof look stepped on by KING KONG in comparison to the front sheet metal. LOL

thanks , I appriciate the advice. I will probably try it like that and do you have to notch the posts any to lay them back, or can you just pull them back and be okay. I would try to put some pics up, but cant get them to upload and i am not very computer savvy.

You really should make a relief cut at the base of the windshield post to get it to lay back. If you can, get a hold of a copy of the book Chop Tops by Steve Smith!! He shows the exact way and place to cut for the reliefs. The back of the cab where you cut your section out will not be the same radius to just drop and tack in place, you'll need to make some cuts there as well.

Isnt it tex smith.

Thank You wannaby it is Tex Smith. I had a brain far* and let the circle track books in my head speak before thinking. LMAO

It really is a good book for a lot of different models of cars and trucks. Well worth the money IMO!!

Your Welcome metalman anytime!!:D

Latest posts

Back