52 Dodge Truck in Chattanooga, TN

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garage-Bound

Chattanooga, Tennessee...Go Chatt' Rats... WHOOP!
So, I got some uninterrupted time this weekend... sent my son to his grandparents' house in Alabama, my wife had a slumber party up on Signal Mountain... and I am sure you all know where I was?... Yep... working on the truck until 1 am! I was in heaven!

After tacking the frame together, I noticed I was a quarter inch higher on one side that the other and this was just unacceptable. So... I cut the frame apart, and built the side rails lying down on the floor; making sure each connection was square and true. I found one of my pieces coming straight up on one side was something like 3/8" taller than the other. I got one side exactly how I wanted it and built the other laying exactly on top of the first.

I decided to narrow the frame to 30" in width. I will just run the whole frame, all the way out to the front at 30", as this will need to be the width for the Mustang 2 rack and pinion suspension that I am soon getting. By narrowing this to 30", I will now be able to run my two leaf springs on the outside of the frame rails, which will look pretty cool.

The leaf springs had ginormus! hangers that, quite frankly, were the ugliest and bulkiest things I had ever seen! So... off they came, becoming parts (like robbing the bushings and rubber grommets, and one of the grommets' houseings). We built custom hangers out of some 11 ga tubing and sheet that the shackle ends (cab side) would fit perfectly into that will be welded the the outside of the frames. I had already shortened the front of the leaf springs 2" and now I will have to shorten the rear by about 4". Next is to build the back support hangers. I get to be a little creative with these.

After the leaf springs are mounted, I will then be able to set the pinion degree and weld the pads (of which I cut off the rear end) back onto the rear end. The leaf springs will be on the bottom side of the rear end and I will likely need a lowering block or two. Then I get to weld in the support for the two shocks.

At any rate, below is a new picture. Also, I will post a new youtube video once the rear end mounting is done.

If you have not seen the video of my build yet, go to youtube and search for my channel. My channel is: microlifemike There you will also find some videos of my wedding (if weddings do not bore you) and some videos of the rat rod bicycles I make.

Have a good day, all!

Michael Brandt

Attachments

• updated rear.jpg
    updated rear.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Back