55 IH Cabover build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So after a little tracing this is what I hope to have.
51.jpg

After some cutting.
52.jpg

53.jpg

Just mocked up in the truck. Gonna just glue this on in for now even with the break. and hunt around for a original one. The one I cut is still better than the one I had with all the holes in it haha

54.jpg

Next up was some major surgery.

Prepping the frame for the cut.

55.jpg

The donor be sacrificed for the cause.

56.jpg

First cut

57.jpg

58.jpg

Lining things up

59.jpg

After some beefing up to rid the truck of some bounce.

60.jpg

I've always wondered how one of these would ride, drive, and handle with the trailer back end? I've seen a couple done this way before. Definitely out of the box! I'm interested to see how it works on the road!

really nice build.. will the other wheels you`ve put on the front cause any steering problems, as they look like they`ll be like a reversed wheel? and on a like note, will you be changing out the hubs and wheels on the rear, say like to heavyduty 8lug system? anyway sir, carry on, its awsome to see your ideas coming to life.

I've always wondered how one of these would ride, drive, and handle with the trailer back end? I've seen a couple done this way before. Definitely out of the box! I'm interested to see how it works on the road!

===---
From the little I've driving it around the back roads it seems fine but time will tell when I hit the highway.
===---

really nice build.. will the other wheels you`ve put on the front cause any steering problems, as they look like they`ll be like a reversed wheel? and on a like note, will you be changing out the hubs and wheels on the rear, say like to heavyduty 8lug system? anyway sir, carry on, its awsome to see your ideas coming to life.

===---
Those stock steel wheels I won't be using due to the offset and didn't think it'll fair well on the wheel bearings.
For the rear I'm not changing anything actually I belive they are 3500pb axles and should be fine for what I'm going to use the truck for.
===---

How did you cut the glass?

===---
All I used is a run of the mill glass cutter, razor blade and propane torch.
===---

Slow on the updates and little short on the photos but got some updates.

Some more dent pulling

63.jpg

64.jpg

Not sure yet how I'll get everything smoothed out yet. As I can't get right into that panel to fix it better without cutting it out.

Stripped out the dash and jazz to paint everything.

65.jpg

And all the bits

66.jpg

Getting all the insulation in and dash all in and wired up.

67.jpg

68.jpg

Built a switch box for the power seat stuff. Wiring that thing took a good part of the evening and I still have to do the other side yet lol

69.jpg

Decided to strip the cab so I have a good foundation, and I'm still waiting on finding a sleeper yet so it gave me something to do.

70.jpg

Got the glass installed

71.jpg

My buddy came over last week and saw a visor on the wall I said it wouldn't fit but we tired it anyway. Fit was pretty good

72.jpg

73.jpg

So took it outside to see what I have going on digging it just needs that sleeper. I'm going to with a 42" bunk that I found should be getting it next week. The pallet represents the sleeper.

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

77.jpg

Ok been a while but got a bunch done. Did a little work on the rear fenders didn't like the bulky look of them. So I trimmed them down a little.

78.jpg

79.jpg

Then added a little to back of the deck.

80.jpg

81.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the results.
82.jpg

So this weekend I found a sleeper finally was cheap 200$ but needs lots of work in the sense to fit the truck right.

It's a little to wide and tall all at the same time haha.

83.jpg

84.jpg

So on forth with the disassembly.

85.jpg

86.jpg

87.jpg

And more disassembly.

88.jpg

89.jpg

90.jpg

Make a little room in the cab
91.jpg

92.jpg

93.jpg

So after a weekend of trashing we have now narrowed it by 11" and shortened it 13".

94.jpg

Now after chopping up the flares.

95.jpg

So this is where I'm at as I now am sectioning the roof down 6", let the fun times with fiberglass begin.

96.jpg

Latest posts

Back