58 Apache Suspension Conversion

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyapache

Just took on a 58 apache project. The truck is a short wheel base step-side, with a 283. The truck is already disassembled, so I have full access to frame. The truck is complete, but in parts. As a challenge, I want to get her road worthy with independent front suspension, power steering, power discs, for the least amount possible, in the least amount of time. This project is a challenge that has been presented to me by my brother as a bet, who said I cannot do this quickly or on the cheap. I said it was pretty easy, and it can be done, and I hate being wrong.

Any thoughts on how to quickly make IFS/steering/brake and rear end modifications while I build up a kick butt drive train?

Any help would be most greatly appreciated. Pictures to follow.

Thanks -ChevApach[;)

Years ago I put a '68 Camaro clip in my '53 Chevy PU, a truck I still own and drive today. The clip was cheap, the labor free, the materials weren't expensive but the amount of effort and trial and error were huge. If I had it to do over, I would not do the clip. 24 years ago there were no kits like today and putting in a clip was common.

I would recommend doing something that doesn't require cutting the front of the frame off. This is what created most of my headaches. If you do go with a frame clip, keep in mind that the early Camaro has a narrower front width. Every other GM front end will most likely be to wide, so if you don't narrow it the tires will rub on the front fenders if you go low.

IMO - A dropped axle would be the way to go. It most likely would be the most economical as well.

Hope this helps.

What's the track width of that truck compared to a s10? Personally, I'd go with another truck clip if possible. Beefier. Anything from the 70's or 80's that would be a good donor? That would get you the upgrades and probably close to the right width. Just some thoughts....

chevy project

hello, just picked up a 56 p/u ... going to get it on the road soon also.
i think i am going to go with a droped axle !
have put in a couple mudtang 2 front ends in a 48 ford coupe and a 51 chevy p/u, but , this time i am going with the drop straight axle. it will put it in the weeds .power brakes and power steering ? NOT... [P
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR TRUCK MAN ! I LIKE MINE[;)

78 - 85 GM G body, - Malibu, Monte Carlo, Cutlass, Regal, etc is narrower than the 70's Camaro, not a bad fit. S10 is narrower yet and will let you use wider front wheels, though you have to make mounts for the V8. Stock drop axle mounted on top of the springs will get you down but you'll have to C notch the frame and you still need to upgrade the brakes, plus no power steering...

Leaf spring flip

YEAH,[cl I was thinking i could do a spring under and get it in the weeds ![P
tell me more... i am all ears.[;)

sweet

78 - 85 GM G body, - Malibu, Monte Carlo, Cutlass, Regal, etc is narrower than the 70's Camaro, not a bad fit. S10 is narrower yet and will let you use wider front wheels, though you have to make mounts for the V8. Stock drop axle mounted on top of the springs will get you down but you'll have to C notch the frame and you still need to upgrade the brakes, plus no power steering...

u can get a power steering box for it now cant you ? or i thout i could i like the axle flip on top of the spring idea my self i was thinking of doing that . and upgrade to power brakes with bolt in brake peddle assembly, with booster like you see on ebay.[P

73-87 chevy half ton...if you cut the frame after the transmission crossmember on the 73-87 and slide it over top the 55 frame its an easy weld...you then can use the stock mounting points of the 73-87 for motor and tranny....u will only have to remount your front cab mounts...you will have to use the floor hump from the 73-87 for tranny clearance for the motor and tranny will sit higher....it's an easy clip to do and works great...I've done a few of them for myself and like this setup...also by using the stock rear frame section your box will line up perfectly...I used a Nova rearend so I could get 10" wheels in the fenders with nice offsets so it didn't look like front wheel drive rear wheels....I only got one pic of it on the computer but it will give you an idea on stance.

Attachments

• 55chev.jpg
    55chev.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 19
CLIP

73-87 chevy half ton...if you cut the frame after the transmission crossmember on the 73-87 and slide it over top the 55 frame its an easy weld...you then can use the stock mounting points of the 73-87 for motor and tranny....u will only have to remount your front cab mounts...you will have to use the floor hump from the 73-87 for tranny clearance for the motor and tranny will sit higher....it's an easy clip to do and works great...i've done a few of them for myself and like this setup...also by using the stock rear frame section your box will line up perfectly...i used a nova rearend so i could get 10" wheels in the fenders with nice offsets so it didn't look like front wheel drive rear wheels....i only got one pic of it on the computer but it will give you an idea on stance.

nice job ! Truck looks great...

Latest posts

Back