7 degrees caster forward

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the top of the kiing pin is behind the bottom.. I have split wishbones which are welded in and I dropeed the body on finaly..I wnet to check caster and it ia 10 degrees back..top king pin behind bottom... its not adjudtable unless I re weld the radius rod brakets.. is 10 to much

The way I found that was to put an angle finder on the front edge of the axle..its a I beam axle so there's a lip on the top and the bottom..I put the angle find on the top and bottom lip verticaly..this might be way off but I figure the beam lips should be even

I pre loaded the front end with clamps, to represent the motor weight.

P2100096.jpg

Then set up an angle finder , kind of the same way you did
P2100099.jpg

Then I measured the distance below the frame to where I needed to set my hairpins. The notes on the frame tell me 3 inches and centered on that mark .
P2110123.jpg

Bonehead nailed it right there. Preloaded is the way to set it up and check it.

10 is fine if you are at final ride height, but if you don't have engine weight on it yet it will probably get over that and bee a little too much. How much does your body weigh?? Hard to believe just the body changed the caster by 3 degrees.

thanks b.e.d I had it at 7 degrees before I put the engine. In.. I happened to read a post about it so rechecked and saw after the engine was in it went to about 10..but the split wishbones are connected to brackets just below the frame..I can't bring them up any more or they would be in the body

Last edited:
I heard 10 degrees sometimes gives you death wobble

I think death wobble is more a function of the spring shackle angle.

Drag cars run way more than 10* caster for high speed stability. On a street car it will make the steering wheel heavier feeling... meaning it will require a little more effort to turn the wheel and it will snap back to straight harder/quicker when you let go when exiting the corner.

One thing about tons of caster like on a dragster is if you back up too fast you can get "death wobble". I have seen guys who do long burnouts then back up real fast get into trouble with that.:eek:

I got a new magnum axle and spindles from speedway.. I have the on and the top of my tires are farther out tan the bottom..but there's no way to fix the cambe since the axle is static..right??

Latest posts

Back