A different point of view...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_Fear

Brother Rat
I was wandering around the net, and stumbled onto this thread. Wound up reading all 5 pages. It's from a UK Gaming Site but the thread is all about American engines from a Englishman's point of view. Kinda got a kick out of it all.

Terrible US Engines

Eventually one guy basically says: If you have never been behind a V8, then you can not possibly understand. That is all there is to it.

I think he's right.

Excellant discussion Sam.

( I really love the 'lazy V8' feel myself, the burble, burble, burble of a big old V8 ...makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside ...and I am by no means the only one. the Americans love that sort of thing, hence ...their engines." )

If they could drive a hot rod I think most of them would become quivering lumps of goo. I don't think most of them have a clue what a small block , Chevy , Ford or whatever is capable of.

But we do realise,but in the same breath we see what our teeny tiny little engines can do for performance.
But,at the end of the day my flatties outclass performance.

I know that when my buddy came over from England and he drove my 454 powered truck a few yrs. back - he said it was better than sex - the little fours and sixes he drove just didn't have the rumble that ya feel in your gut - I told him - ahh, that's just the burrito ya ate - he said No!! they're just wraped to tight over there and these big V-8's ya can feel in your pants - I said oh! now that could be the burrito! - He sold all of his little cars when he went home and bought a old English Taxi and put a 327 c.i. industrial engine in it.

a couple of sayings come to mind about all of this.....

* horsepower sells engines-but torque wins races

* there's no substitute for cubic inches

and one that really doesn't only apply to engines, but alot of areas in life...

*if I have to explain it, you probably wouldn't understand!

those are my bits of wisdom for the day......:D:D

Are car would not do well on the road. OK we need to wake those boys up. Go go over there will a 2010 Mustang Cobra Jet with the track pack. 475 Hp. 3500 pound and out runs the BMWs on the track. Even a 2011 Mustang Gt 412 Hp. 390 Foot pound of torque .

As most of the American engine they are talking about of the low Hp smog engines. Put them in something that has a big Chevy, 426 or Early Hemi or the 429 Shot gun Ford motor and see how long it will take for there brain to go back in place after it bounces off the back of there skull from all that HP.

after all that reading i have come to the conclusion that the guys who did like the american stuff, have never road in something that nailed them to the seat!,, they just dont get it.

there are some people that you just cannot get through to. there are a lot of honda drivers out there that will never understand the "No replacement for displacement" saying. they all get too entwined with the theory of small engine, small car, better handling = performance. Just goes to show what close mindedness will get you.

I work on alot of european cars at work. They are very complex and expensive engines to work on. They require alot of special tools a skill to work on one. And you know what every one of thoes things leaks oil out of ever seal and hose on the car. Maybe thats why they have that giant sponge under the engine on most of them.

Ill take and american engine any day of the week to work on. Even the newer ones. They are all around just easy to work on and easy to do diagnostics on.

But I will say honda and toyota make a good engine as well. If you are into that import stuff.

Latest posts

Back