Aftermarket or donor car wiring harness best?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt's37Buick

I'm planning the build on my 1937 Buick Roadmaster resto-mod.
I'm trying to decide if I should strip the wiring harness out of the '95 Roadmaster donor car which I already bought for this project.
Since this is my first hot rod build, I'm looking for some opinions on electrical:
1) Should I go with an aftermarket wiring kit or is it better for me to use the harness out of the '95 since I will be using instruments, drive-train, heated power seats, and hopefully the power locks?
2) CAn somebody tell me and estimate of how much time I'll save by using an aftermarket kit.
3) If I go with aftermarket kit, what companies are the best to go with?
Thanks
Mutt

After market will be simpler, I used a geo metro harness in mine.Besides weeding out the circuits that are not needed and the placement of fuse and relay boxes and wires needing to be lengthened and having to use a chilton manual to decode the wiring it was a piece of cake,but all the switched on my steering column work.lol

I love Rebel Wire kits! They have better wires than most & the writing on them is actually aprox every 6" & big enough I don't have to waer my reading glasses to see it. The owner Bob very helpful, readily available by phone & gives RRR members a 10% discount! I ripped out a EZ Wiring kit in the middle of the install to put a Rebel in!

http://www.Rebelwire.com

BoB

Thanks for your feedback.
Can either of you guess how much time I'll save going aftermarket as compared to removing, labeling, and installing the '95 stock harness?
Thanks

used stuff

AND with used stuff you never know the condition of the wire, just an accident looking for a place to happen. new wire, new wiring harness and all the components are cheap insurance to avoid future problems.

Later :cool:

I agree new wire is the way to go I've used the kits from speedway ,American autowire,an EZ with no problems I just orders a fan relay kit from reblel wire looks good did not get a 10% discount though[S

Stock ECU

Another issue may be the stock computer. If you change cams, etc but want to keep the fuel injection, you would have to have the computer reflashed. If you start with an aftermarket computer system (and therefore harness) so you can also have the rumpity rump cam, etc. then there would not be much sense in using the factory engine wiring.

On the other hand, maybe some sub-harnesses can be used, like the power seat harness, especially if the aftermarket does not support those power seats.

Either way, the electrical system is a project in itself!

440shorty

AND with used stuff you never know the condition of the wire, just an accident looking for a place to happen. new wire, new wiring harness and all the components are cheap insurance to avoid future problems.

Agreed! It's not worth the risk to use the old stuff IMO and you'll gain a much better understanding of elec systems as a bonus!

Toad

Latest posts

Back