anyone building a 57 ford station wagon?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtbrain

Searched and couldn't find anything. Just curious if anyone is in the process of building one and if they would have any advice about getting one of these wagons back on the road. I have one sitting in the backyard and I'm wondering what's in store for me if I decide to do something with it. It's in pretty decent shape. Hood is missing, as is the interior. No engine. Body is pretty much rust free. Fenders could use some work though.
The rockers look like new. Little crack in windshield otherwise all the glass is good. I can pick up a 57 4 door hardtop for $400 to use for a donor. It has a locked up 292. Thanks

There are disc brake kits but you can switch them useing junkyard parts. 57 is a cool year, I have been watching a 57 2 door on ebay for a friend. Called a Ranch wagon.
I am not sure how much of a project you want it to be but you might measure it up to go on an 80s Crown vic or Gran Marquis chassis and use the efi drivetrain.
There are several good aftermarket catalogs for those old Fords.

I love 57's!!!

Brain,
Those are beautiful wagons. I think the '57 Ford was on of the best lookin' Fords ever. I'm workin' on a '57 Ranchero... it has a 390/C4!!!

57 Wagon!

Oh yeah! A 57 Ford wagon would be awesome! Please post some pictures! What color is it?

ISore

It's not a 57, but I re did a 59 Edsel wagon a few years ago. Unlike yours mine had wasted rockers, but that was the worst part on mine...the irony is a friend of mine had two 57 Ford rockers from a four door laying in his shop since the early 60's...we reworked them some and made them work on the Edsel. Like Wollowbilly said, there are disc brake setups available for safety concerns, or if your up to it a more modern frame swap would be a good way to get modern EFI and over drive as well as the better brakes and other modern improvements. Either way if you got it setting there, I say go for it....it would be a cool cruiser.

Here's a couple of pics of my Edsel after it rolled out of the paint booth and bolting the side trim on...with 200 some holes for the trim, it wa probably the worst part of reassembling the car :D

Edsel2.jpg

Edsel1.jpg

hi i am in the process of fixing up a 59 2 door ranch wagon (by the way know of any good parts car for me?) 57's are cool looking .plenty of stuff available without having to swap frames. disc brakes etups, dual master cylinder,rack and pinion and other steering upgrades,lot's of resto parts,many different suppliers

Thanks for all your input. I will try and get some pics. Right now with the wind chill factored in, its -55 degrees. This weather tends to put a cramp in getting anything done in an unheated garage. And Ron, nice Edsel, I can only hope getting this old gal looking half as nice as yours.

Oh, Tripper, my 16 year old son wants us to cut the top and make this into a fake ranchero so he can haul his motocross bike to races. dang kid. hahahahaha

Last edited:
Right now with the wind chill factored in, its -55 degrees.

Brain,
U have to b kiddin'!!! That is unbelievable! Had a bud that worked up there for a year & he packed his bag & headed back to Houston to get his bones warm! Say warm man & pray for Spring!!! ; - >

BoB

Tripper-
The irony is, we moved to ND when I was a kid. My dad worked for an oil company and we got transfered all over hell and back. We moved to ND from Houston. I'm sure it has changed since 1971. hahahahaha

After being here so long, i guess i call it home no matter how frikken cold it gets. But i do miss surfing and the gulf.

Freeze!!! ; - >

But i do miss surfing and the gulf.

Brain,
I bet!!! Hate 2 tell ya but it's 70 here rat now... wind chill of... er... 70!

-55... I'd probably... er... *freeze*!!! Doesn't look like much work will get done on u're wagon till Spring or later!

BoB

70's? ya had to rub it in didn't you. hahahahaha
Yeah, here it will be June before you can touch metal without your fingers sticking to it.:)

Oh, what'd you think of my son's idea to turn the wagon into a fake ranchero?

It's not a 57, but I re did a 59 Edsel wagon a few years ago. Unlike yours mine had wasted rockers, but that was the worst part on mine...the irony is a friend of mine had two 57 Ford rockers from a four door laying in his shop since the early 60's...we reworked them some and made them work on the Edsel. Like Wollowbilly said, there are disc brake setups available for safety concerns, or if your up to it a more modern frame swap would be a good way to get modern EFI and over drive as well as the better brakes and other modern improvements. Either way if you got it setting there, I say go for it....it would be a cool cruiser.

Here's a couple of pics of my Edsel after it rolled out of the paint booth and bolting the side trim on...with 200 some holes for the trim, it wa probably the worst part of reassembling the car :D

Edsel2.jpg

Edsel1.jpg

I had the clone of that Edsel. A friend of mine with a wrecker got called to haul it away and I got it. The engine had been destroyed but the rest was all there and very solid. When I sold my property in Willow Alaska I left it there.

draggin up an old one

was lookin for ideas on a wagon build, and found this old thread
we've got an old 57 ford 4 dr wagon that dad "parted out" years ago body is all that's left-but still decent enuf to build i think, can any one give an update on that wagon maybe some others out there????!!

57 FORD

I did a 57 busines coupe, really like the lines of the 57 ford. I did a 4 inch channel on mine, maybe these pics will give you some ideas.Hope to see some pics soon.

Attachments

• car 011.jpg
    car 011.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 35
  • car2 006.jpg
    car2 006.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 36
  • car2 009.jpg
    car2 009.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 24
  • car 024.jpg
    car 024.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 34
  • car 016.jpg
    car 016.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 33
I did a 57 busines coupe, really like the lines of the 57 ford. I did a 4 inch channel on mine, maybe these pics will give you some ideas.Hope to see some pics soon.

I loved this car & was dissappointed u never finished it. What ever happened to it?

BoB

agree w/ya tripper, a real nice project, w/ lots of workmanship displayed....
hey bustedknuckle, can you give some details on that chassis-orig. frame? bagged? noticed the latemodel mod motor, did you swap in a late model frame

too many questions, not enuf keyboard skills......details please!!:D:cool:

hey bustedknuckle, can you give some details on that chassis-orig. frame? bagged? noticed the latemodel mod motor, did you swap in a late model frame

still looking for stationwagon ideas....

Ideas

Is your wagon a 4 door or 2 door? Dose it stiil have the old Y block or six? You could do a restomod pretty easy (disc brakes, late model engine, air, bags, exec) or leave it the way it is do a 2 tone swade paint, tuck and roll interior, some 2 inch w/w tires on stock 15 steeles that are painted gloss. Cut the 3/4 of the front spring out and 3 inch lower block in the rear to give it a better stance. Disc brakes from a late 70,s Granada will bolt right on. Any how, hope this will help. Curt:)

That 57 looks awsome and I think that Edsel would be rare no. wise. I can't help you much but there is a car club in Winnipeg Manitoba called the Fabulus 50's and there is a guy there that is able to recreat any body panel that built a basket case panel delivery for Piston Ring. I believe it was a 56 but I'm sure if you were to contact someone from that club that they could help you out in some way. Hope this could be of some help.
John

Latest posts

Back