Back in tha day!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Well... there's always a lot of talk in mags & forums about what it was like in the day! If u *really* wanna know (er... if u weren't there) do what the old Tripper does... as many of u know... I love old car mags!!! My fav's are Hot Rod mags & today I just got a whole box of 'um I bought off daBay. I scanned a couple of notables... The Ala Kart & the So-Cal coupe they just renovated & are wagging around the country. The koolest thing (to me at least) are the advertisements. There are also some kool articles like "How to Z your frame", "Young Henry's new overhead valve V-8", "How to section a car" & "Building a Hot Rod"... etc!!! I love old mags!!! When I get a chance... I'll scan some of the kool ads!!!

BoB

Attachments

• alakart.jpg
    alakart.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 25
  • socal.jpg
    socal.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 18
I agree Tripper. I regularly look through old publications for reference. And like you say, sometimes the ads alone are worth the price of admission.

Check out the price! I love those old articles but I dumped a load of mags because the weight was too much for the garage rafters. I started collecting mags around 67' when I got a job. Gas was .25 cents along with cigs. Hurst shifter was under a 100 along with headers. Back then, I only read Hot Rod and Popular Hot Rodding because I was into street racing.

Talk about a source of inspiration. One of my older cousins had a huge pile of hot rod mags. I used to pour through them, (1965) I learned a bunch and I am sure some of what I saw I kept with me through today.

i love old hot rod mags and books, i always head straight for any i see at swap meets. i can't leave without adding at least one to the collection. :D

I remember in 1960/61 buying the small mags for 25 cents and the big mags for 35 cents. I remember Wanted to Buy ads in the back: "Wanted...1930-1932 Ford or Chevy, engine and trans not important, willing to pay up to $50". I once bought a 32 Ford pick up cab without doors from a magazine ad. Paid $20 for it, and later found doors for $5 each. Got a frame and bed from the junkyard for $10.
The mags were full of cars back then instead of ads. The car on the front cover was always the lead story with lots of photos, and a huge centerfold photo. There was always one article about fixing or fabricating. Todays mags leave me cold. A few photos with the focus on the tattoo'd girl instead of the car. The articles are more about installing a product that advertises in the mag. The last mag I got, my wife picked up for me at the supermarket. It was called Truckin, and the feature photos and articles were of a Hummer and it's trailered boat. It had more photos of the boats outboard drive than the Hummer. The article was about how to install a supercharger on a Hummer. Every other page was an ad for Billet rims or taillights. Yes Sir, that magazine found a new home in the trash can.
I sure miss the old days...

I'm like Lakota, I loved the ads in the back where people could buy and sell their own stufff. Things like " Wanted, '32 Ford Coupe. Engine and transmission not important. Will travel up to 100 miles, must be under $75.00." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, if I could only go back in time!! The little books were also the perfect size to hide inside your english or math book during class. It's a wonder I can add at all. :D:D:D:D

Don

Ads!

Here aer some ads I found entertaining! And yes, there are so many ads in today's mags it is unreal. In the old mags there were a few pages of ads in the front & a few in the back... nothing in the middle but articles!

Ck these grills, hummm... Barris... now that name sounds familiar & ck the membership ad for NHRA at the bottom of this Edelbrock ad.

BoB

Attachments

• grills.jpg
    grills.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 17
  • barris.jpg
    barris.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 15
  • edelbrock.jpg
    edelbrock.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 16
hot rod mag

I had a supscription to Hot Rod from 1966 to 1978, when i graduated high school. After 3 months at college, I got home to find my Mom/Dad had "cleaned out" my older brother's and my room. All my mags went to the landfill. I would love to have those back, damn. They did though, save some of my brother's Outdoor Life magazine.

When I was in High School in 1963 I had a job at a gas station, made 75 cents and hour, so the cheap prices back then were all relative. That equates to $30 gross a week!!!!!! So even a hundred dollar car took a while to save up for, and still survive in the meantime. I ate a lot of McDonalds 15 cent hamburgers back then. :D

Remember Almquist Engineering? They were like Honest Charlies or JC Whitney, and sold one of the first fiberglass car kits. I owned one of their T bucket bodies, and it was really crude. I wonder how many of these sports cars actually ever hit the streets??:D:D

Don

Attachments

• almquist.jpg
    almquist.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 12
  • almquist 2.jpg
    almquist 2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 11
Switcheroo!!!

Ck this... this reverse runner was from 1953!!!

BoB

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 17
Way back machine!!!

From 1953! Damn... I'm definitely callin' Mr. Peabody & borrowin' his way back machine!!!

BoB

Attachments

• streamliner.jpg
    streamliner.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 9
this is a little off topic but has anyone here ever picked up one of those old popular mechanics home handyman encyclopedias. I love them.

Old book: Build a pool yourself
Adding dormers (how to actually do it)
Building a garage (from scratch)

New Book: How to sub-contract your pool
Styles of pre-built dormers
Garage plans and styles (with about a page on framing :p)

People used to do so much more for themselves back in the day. It's amazing to me sometimes.

Brain,
Those mite come in handy if you needed to start a campfire or skin a deer!!! :D:D:D

hahahahahahaha, that's good!
That i know how to do, but it's the "how-to" articles like you mentioned that would come in handy now. Splitt'n wishbones, flathead overhauls, frenching things....(other than my prom date)....ahhhhh to be young again.

Splittin' bones!

it's the "how-to" articles like you mentioned that would come in handy now. Splitt'n wishbones, flathead overhauls, frenching things...

Brain,
Lots of that in the old mags but there's a pretty decent one on splittin' bones in the new OSR this month!

BoB

Nick & Natalie! Wow!!!

Worth every bit of 25 cents.

" Lookin' real good ...
Like Natalie Wood ...
On a Pontiac hood. " - John Prine

Capt,
That is a great cover!!! Nick Adams... long time since I thought or saw anything about him! And Natalie... I think John Prine said it all!!!

BoB

When I was growing up, I'd sweep up at a local custom shop, and flip through their collection of little pages... I grew up on them, and have never gotten over 'em. It's amazing to read some of the stories, and the ads, as mentioned earlier, are even better!
Finding a famous custom in the classifieds is great....
c1a1b49d.jpg

Latest posts

Back