Bardot rat rag top

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchy

Banned
aeruaq.jpg

2hhev15.jpg

1960 Renault Caravelle hardtop/convertible, 875cc engine, 3 speed manual, rear engined car, ghia built body, 80,000 miles.

I found this one in a barn, too hard to find parts to restore original so I'm gonna make a black sheep in wolf's clothing[satin black and red pinstriping] and just like Bardot, itz going topless as often as possible[dr

Always liked them back in the day!!! Only thing... it's a Renault! [ddd[ddd[ddd

BoB

Thats a neat little car.Will make a great hotrod.
Man around here has one of those 2 door mercedes convertibles they built in 1970`s-80`s.He put a chevy engine and ford rear axle in it.It looks great,and sounds even better.

thinking bare naked, no chrome, just satin black.

red hubcaps or just red wheels?

maybe add a beer cooler where the spare tire and trunk was[in front] and tapper for hood release?

i wanna see more pics of this thing...[cl what does that cute sounding engine look like? think you can fit a cummins in that thing!!? a bt4 would be a different engine in a different car for sure![P

purdy sure the brakes, steering, and front end won't be able to handle a heavy motor, Bardot's on the other hand was stronger as I recall. got me confused when ya said you wanted it "striped down"

yea true... but a 4 cyl cummins cant be much heavier than a SBC.... either way i guess it depends how involved you wanna get with a build. anywho it dont matter as long as you do something with itvv[;)[cl

stock engine would work fine, as long as you live in old Virginia City, and not at the bottom of the hill, you will have plenty of power, and great millage. then just have it towed back up the hill, and enjoy another drive.

i wanna see more pics of this thing...[cl what does that cute sounding engine look like? think you can fit a cummins in that thing!!? a bt4 would be a different engine in a different car for sure![P

igx89x.jpg

No engine swaps, but this one runs very well, 8 gallon tank, have original service manual, and since it is a wet sleave engine it is easily rebuilt if needed. Same floor pan/engine/trans as the daulphin making some parts very easy to find even today, body and glass is almost forget it time however.

wow I used to have a 57 Renault Caravel..... wish I still had all the performance parts I had, had an extra roof and a bunch of parts....... Mine was White with red in the island on the side...... I wanted to put a frame under it and a sbc.

Jim

fvgwg9.jpg

Stripping Bardot, started by roughing sanding surface paint and using Klean Strip color change paste stripper brushed on[lowes], doesn't like our cold weather[gotta gitrdun], but it works good regardless. Couple days of elbow grease and it will be bare metal again. Decided to use John Deere Blitz paint, should be perfect for my car.[;)

I might build a wood gasifier to supply fuel for this little motor, it would fit under front hood where spare tire went and pipe the gases to the back using existing heater tube route, then it wouldn't rely on gasoline for nada.

Anyone else using a wood gasifier even for a small generator? I'm open to tips, I have the fabrication skills and equipment, but of course, no sketches for my ap.

Wood_Gasifier.jpg

woodgastracotr.jpg

Latest posts

Back