Barn Find 57 Chev Gasser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

59imp

1972 was a year that changed my life. i was 12 years old and thats the summer i became a hot rodder. there were 3 events that summer that changed everything for me. first, i went to my first drag race and i saw Jack Sing race his 68 GT-E 428 Cobra Jet Cougar. the second event was when my father brought home a 1950 Ford 4 dr sedan, bone stock, flathead, 3 in the tree. my dad had a car dealership and an old Italian guy traded it in. it only had 48,000 miles on it, totally rust free, not a dent or a scratch and it was the original colour, a faded brown. i immediately thought it was the ugliest car i had ever seen. my pops asked me if i wanted to build a stock car, i immediately thought it was the most beautiful car i had ever seen. the third thing was that my oldest sister got married, now that fact alone didn't make much of a dent but one of my future bro-in-laws buddies had a 57 Chev gasser. and my life changed forever.

the owner had bought the car in 1966, it had a 348 4 speed. over the next little while he pulled the engine and replaced it with a 455 Buick, left the 4 speed, installed a rear ladder bar set-up, and a straight tube axle, chrome reversed rims on the rear, red line tires up front and a teardrop hood scoop. this is exactly how it was done in the day.
a couple days before the wedding, the owner came by and took me for a ride, we ripped around town for quite a while, engine roaring tires squealing. it was nirvana...... i will never forget it as long as i live.
the owner left town and had a career as a long haul trucker, he left the 57 stored away here at the family home. until today. it has been parked since 1975... 39 years, its not perfect, but its an amazing piece of local history. the owner is taking it home with him tomorrow, and will begin a sympathetic restoration, only replacing the consumables and leaving it as original as possible.......he told me when he gets it running he will come back and take me for a ride, i'll be 12 years old all over again, only this time, maybe he'll let me drive.........

i hope these photos do it justice, enjoy......

That is just way cool. It takes me back a bit seeing multiple shifter holes in the floor and long shackles. Not to mention the obligatory Kraco 8 track.

Oh yeah! Keep cutting the floor out for each new shifter installed..[cl And the must have 8 track!!!:D.. Cool pics...thanks for sharin

:eek: Damn, I thought that was an under dash A/C it was so big, until Willowbilly3 mentioned an 8 track [S
I had to go back and look :cool:
Kool story :)

Very cool car and story! Now the tie down job scares me to death! Sorry but it's one of the first things I notice. Lol

Cool story, I wonder if he was always one of them who thought ` I will fix it up one day ` But this time actually really is going to do it.
Its funny how one little drive can be such an experience to someone I used to like taking people out in my ratrod the reactions you get are priceless and for car fans you know its something that will stay with them a while.

One thing though .... what happened with the 1950 Ford 4 dr sedan

Cool story, One thing though .... what happened with the 1950 Ford 4 dr sedan

it took most of that summer to build it into a dirt track car, my bro-in-law raced it the following summer. the next summer i turned 15 and i raced it for the next three seasons and finished in the top ten for points every yr. those were some of my best memories as a teenager and with my Dad, i'll never forget that time......

Latest posts

Back