Boss troubles

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screw

Does this sound familiar to any of you guys or gals? My boss insults my inteligence every single day and I'm getting really, really tired of it. I don't know what to do about it. I am a sheet metal mechanic with my experience being in the home heating industry. My boss (who is the owners son) is NOT a qualified sheet metal mechanic yet he thinks he is just because he grew up around it all his life. He trys to explain the simplest things to me and it drive me NUTS!!!! One time he gave me a simple job to do (something I could do in my sleep) and then he left for a while BUT he had to PHONE ME to explain to me how to do it!!!! I just about relived myself in his office I was so mad. One of these days:mad:...............

Plan out what you need to say and don't never, ever do it when you are mad. I guarantee you will come to regret that.
I had a similiar experience recently. I work part time for a guy whose main emplyee is his nephew, less than half my age. He is actually a better layout man than me and knows his way around the plants better so he is the lead man and I don't have a problem with that. But he started the same crap, Like once I had some flanges all drilled and the bolts layed out. I had 3/8 bolts. He said, we really don't need 3/8, 5/16 will work. He was always running me around for no real reason and one day I just told him I was tired of it. No two men do things the exact same way and if you are going to manage help you need to learn to let them do things a different way than you would, as long as the job is getting done properly and efficiently.

Hang in there Screw and let him ramble on. Just don't pay him any more attention than you have to. Last time I worked for someone his son was the "foreman" and I use that term loosely! Every job he took over and ran went down the tubes. He'll hang himself eventually....Don't let em get to you!:D...CR

My boss is like that. Wait a minute, I am the boss, but I usually tell myself how to do every little thing, drives me crazy. I may just quit one day.

My boss is like that. Wait a minute, I am the boss, but I usually tell myself how to do every little thing, drives me crazy. I may just quit one day.

Before you quit you may want to just sit down and have a serious talk with each other![cl...CR:D

It depends on wether the guy is a powerhungry know it all, or maybe he is trying to be helpfull. Kinda hard to tell without knowing the guy,but the former probably not much you can do about it without getting into more problems. If he is the second type you can maybe just gradually drop a few supple hints that you can handle things with out making it into a big deal.

I, growing up had a father that was a foreman in a metal shop, this allowed me the opportunity to learn a lot about welding, blue prints, layout and fabrication. The difference is I knew where my place was, which was seen and not heard!! LOL If someone asked me a question I answered it but I never pushed the buttons as these guys were 20+ yrs my senior. Today you have those that are like most of us, experienced and know what needs to be done and most improtantly how to do it! Then you have the later generation that was bored all of the time and had nothing to do. They get a position by luck that is of some responsibility and act as though they "KNOW IT ALL" but I would almost bet that they are the ones looking over the shoulders of those that do KNOW and using that as they have done it themselves. I HATE people like that.

I would talk to this guy when you were level headed about your issues as if you do it when your pi$$ed, Well he will probably run to daddy and have you eating corn beef hash 3 times a day looking for more work. I know it sucks but diplomacy is supposed to be a good thing, with some of the younger generation diplomacy is a big word and must mean something from a foreign country!!!!

Hang in there and you will know when the time is right!! Everything happens for a reason!!

I run a 10 man crew for a Utility, and when I try to micro-manage them, they turn real stupid and do only exactly what I say and nothing else. Things slow way down. I end up being the bottleneck. They are all 20 year hands--they know their business. My problem solving now is 'Handel
it, handel it" -- "do the right thing" --"Endevor to purservere".

Way back when I worked assembling washing machines at a plant for a while, and there was a hold up on parts and the line stopped .We were all sitting waiting for the parts when a boss came in and threw a fit and had us set up for a different model without asking anyone about why we were sitting around--no one offered up any explination, and we did the 4 hour swap stranding a bunch of machines ..

The 'wheel' ended up puking in the garbage can :) ..

Maybe ya oughtta turn stupid???

PA41

Maybe hes had to deal with employees before you that werent at your level. I have a guy that cant do one thing with out instructions and we do the same job day after day. Drives me insane. Just relax and try to deal with it with out blowing up and making things worse.

Been there, but fortunately I'm union, so I have a little leeway as to what I can get away with saying to the boss. First day my current supervisor was on the job I told him flat out "I can work with you, or for you. Your choice." Apparently PA41 knows exactly what I'm saying.

I'd say a little discussion is needed before you really do blow up. If you have to, you might even go at from the angle that his time is important (ego boost) and you'll try to help him out by doing the jobs without constant supervision (trust)....etc. etc.

I think part of the problem is that he seems to be a bit of a simpleton who's never strayed far from home, so to speak, and simply doesn't know what a journeyman (of 35 years in the trade) is capable of. I'm not saying I'm Gods gift to sheet metal but I haven't gone through the trade for so many years with my eyes closed! The thing is, as well, like some of you suggested, to have a chat with him, well I have , both calm and P.O'ed. I'm stuck here too. It's the only job for me for miles around, and it's just him and I. Oh well, I shall persevere.( no choice )

Excellent decision Screw.[cl...Sometimes we have to make sacrifices, especially if you are a family man.. Just do your thing and maybe he'll just wear himself out. I usually listen to the knobheads and then do it my way! I'm impressed with 35 years of sheet metal work and you still have fingers to type with!!!:D....CR

"those that can't do, teach" I used that on my current boss for about 3 years until he figured it out. Well until I told him what it meant. He has it figured out now

BTW my H.S. science teacher, wrestling and football coach (same guy) first told me that.

Latest posts

Back