Bought myself a new toy!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two more additions to the arsenal.
Ruger Mk I
Saw this at a local gun shop and noticed it had a low serial. I looked it up and the gun was made in 1965. Still in pretty good condition. These Ruger Mk I are great plinkers.

photobucket-2702-1365383254213_zps732fbac6.jpg

S&W lower receiver, DPMS trigger group, and stock. Custom built Palmetto States upper receiver with BCM bolt group and charger handle, 16" Barrel, Chrome moly vanadium barrel, 1 in 7" twist rate, Chrome-lined bore, M4 Feed ramps, A2 Flash Hider, and Carbine Hand Guards, Magpul folding peep sights and 2.5X10 scope and laser.

photobucket-51361-1365183839617_zps2af4803f.jpg

22 or 223, can't buy ammo around here anymore. I was going to get a 223 and decided on a 222 instead because that ammo is on the shelf for $18 and change. Not a tactical gun though, bolt action. Glad I have ammo for all my other guns but wish I had a couple hundred more rounds of 22 Hornet, and a few more boxes of 6.5x55, 7x57 and 17 HMR.

ive got one of these for a pocket pistol, I like it since it fits well and is not that noticable.
Ruger LCP .380
lcp_zpsd9ef3b3c.jpg

And here a few of the ones I used to work on at a previous employer. :D
MK19
MK19_zps38bfabcf.jpg

M2 Browning
M250Cal_zpsf99b0cd6.png

M119
m198_zpsd0c4f6e7.png

M198
M119_zps517ef083.png

And for some reason this was always my favorite to work on. This will be my next purchase.
M9 Beretta
M9Beretta_zpsd40e2c83.png

Polymer Frame New Frontier AR-15 Lower Receivers. Figured to try these they were very inexpensive compared to what people a ripping you off for aluminum frames. Mil-spec so all AR parts will fit. The holes were all under sized so they needed to be drilled or filed out a little. With all the polymer framed handguns made I figured these shoul be strong enough for a .223.

PSA upper with Magpul fore end 2.5X10 40mm scope

Bought some new furniture for my M&P. ATI stock and hand grip. Magpul magazines all in dark earth/tan. Still looking for a Magpul carbine handguard in the same color. Also got a Chiappa M4/22 polymer upper to go with my Frontier polymer lower.

It's 5.56 (.223). I have a large stash of ammo. I've been hoarding for years.

I was just reading that 5.56 and 223 are not actually the same. They said the throat in a 5.56 is about twice as long. I think they said you could shoot 223 in a 5.56 but shouldn't go the other way because you are cramming the bullet up into the rifling and it could cause dangerous high pressures.

BTW, I got to take my vintage Sako 222 out shooting prairie dogs Sat. Shot a couple at well over 300 yards. It's a slick little rifle, definitely my favorite. I want to try my 22 Hornet now, haven't shot it yet except sighting in.

I was just reading that 5.56 and 223 are not actually the same. They said the throat in a 5.56 is about twice as long. I think they said you could shoot 223 in a 5.56 but shouldn't go the other way because you are cramming the bullet up into the rifling and it could cause dangerous high pressures.

Yes exactly true plus it is no fun to take your brand new .223 and have it jam shut so that you have to mortar it to get the bolt open and spent 5.56 casing out.

Have seen this happen a few times :eek: so make sure with the ar platform to always run 5.56 so you're safe either way;)

Bought another Ruger Mk I this one is a 1961 Target Model came with the original owners manual. This one has the heavy 6" barrel and adjustable rear sights.

Picture of some of the black guns.

Building a new toy

Thought I'd build a target rifle that shoots cheap ammo. So I bought a Mosin Nagant 91/30 chambered in 7.62X54R which you still can get cheap in bulk. Ballistics are almost identical to a 308 Win/7.62X51.

Started with a laminated thumbhole stock.

Had the barrel cut down to 24" and dura coated. Cleaned up the trigger action and bought a turned down bolt with a safety ring from Max Shepard. I still need to work on the stock to get things to fit better like cut a recess for the bolt.

I may or may not add a muzzle brake.

the 16 1/4 bull barrel .223 rem i have been putting together.
i should get my muzzle brake today.
my goal is to cut the recoil down so much i can watch the bullet impacts.

Latest posts

Back