Building a frame

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaq

Hey everyone!

Another noob here just wanting some advice and some pictures would be helpful too!

Im planning on getting started on my project here soon, and have decided to build my own frame.
(I have a 42 Dodge truck.) And 1.) The frame is in way to nice of shape and I dont want to cut and ruin something so nice! haha and 2.) I think doing it myself would be easier to make it sit how I want it.

But I was just wanting to know from the guys who have built their own frames, some good tips and pointers on getting it done right.

I am planning on using 2x4, 3/16th gauge metal. That good?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

i will give you the first advise my late mentor gave me when he taught me to build frames.... just as long as you keep it level and square you can make the rest up. there are a few things to keep in mind though when building, keep your scrub lines at a high priority, dont make large "z"s at 90* angles, and plan all you moves in advance.

also make sure you a good welder, a frame is not the place to learn to weld!

Yep, 2 x 4 x 3/16 is perfect for that cab. Here are some things I like to do when building a frame:

1) Have all of the major components on hand such as body, engine, and wheels/tires. The engine can be a dummy but should be the same make and model. The tires and wheels can be any size, just used to approximate wheelbase and final look.

2) Build the first frame from 2 x 4 lumber. Dimensionally it is very close to the steel you will be using, it gives you a chance to sit back and look at what you like and don't like about your design, and changes are only a circular saw away. The picture below isn't mine but one I borrowed (maybe from someone on here?)

3) Leave a couple of inches extra in between the front of the water pump and the radiator. In almost every car I have done I always find the pulley ends up just a little tighter to the radiator than I would like. It leaves room for a bigger mechanical or electric fan and those 2 inches make life easier.

Don

woodframe.jpg

Oh, we built a frame for a 39 Dodge pickup (just the same as your 42), thought these pictures might help you a little.

dodgemakingsomeprogressonfronten-3.jpg

dodgemakingsomeprogressonfrontend01.jpg

RPUmotormounts007.jpg

RPUmotormounts005.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I still have a bit of planning and buying before i start but i can't wait! And donsrods, if you don't mind what's the rough dimensions on that? That looks exactly how i want mine!
Wheelbase? And dimensions on the chassis would be helpful,but if you don't want to give away the secrets don't worry! Hana

Thanks guys! I still have a bit of planning and buying before i start but i can't wait! And donsrods, if you don't mind what's the rough dimensions on that? That looks exactly how i want mine!
Wheelbase? And dimensions on the chassis would be helpful,but if you don't want to give away the secrets don't worry! Hana

The only secrets I have are the receipts I hid from my ex-wife. [ddev

Wheelbase on that one is right at about 110 as I recall (I sold the car so I don't have it here to measure. Width at the front crossmember was about 24 and at the back about 30. What you want is for the frame to just fit inside the sides of the firewall so the body can slip down over it and not have a huge gap on the sides. You want the frame to not look "overpowered" by the body, but rather be proportional to it.

Just prop the body up at the height you want it to sit, push the motor back until you have firewall to head (or distributor) clearance, put some wheels and tires where you think they look good, and then open a cold one and sit and stare at it for a while. It will come to you where things look "right".

Mine was using a 394 Olds engine which is long, so I needed more room up front and width to clear it. With a different engine you might not need so much, but plan of a 4 inch radiator and a few inches between the pulley and radiator for a fan. I don't think I have ever built a frame where I didn't wish later on I had left a little more fan to pulley room. Things tighten up when you start bolting stuff on and you want to run a good electric fan or a mechanical one.

Don

Great advice , I think pinching the frame in at the front is more difficult , but provides a great look . Good luck on your frame ! [;)

Latest posts

Back