calif dmv rumor

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatheadgary

a guy told me today that the calif dmv is charging 4 years of fees for any car out of registration no matter how many years it is out of registration. anybody else in calif heard this?

Not surprising!

After some of the things I've seen them do out there... I wouldn't be surprised at anything they come up with!!!

BoB

Hasn't there always been some penalty out there for a car not being continually registered? Here in Florida we have an impact fee of $ 100 for any NEW license plate you get. In other words, if you have a plate to transfer from one car to another you pay no fee, but if you buy a new or used car and have no existing plate to put on it, you pay $ 100.

I also just heard that someplace is limiting driving to certain days based on the last number on your license plate to keep pollution down, odd numbers drive one day, even numbers drive the next day. I was napping on the couch while the TV was on so I missed all the details. Wonder what the do about vanity license plates with no numbers??:D

Don

well guys, as far as my experience with the dmv goes, the registration falls out of the computer if there is no activity after 7 years. if i understand right what this guy told me, he had to pay for 4 years even though the car hadn't been registered in 12 years on one car and 9 years on another.
don, i haven't heard the odd/even thing since the early '70's during the first shortage fiasco, but i wouldn't be surprised at anything the morons that run this state do. the mentallity of the ruling party here reminds me of that old move "The Thing" with James Arness, when that scientist said, mankind should be willing to die before killing the alien. now i am all for saving the planet, but who is actually at the top of the food chain here? i remember back around '80 something, i bought a '47 willys jeep that hadn't been registered in 6 years and i had to pay for all those years before they would let me do it. which i think is somehow illegal or at the least, just plan wrong. after all, i didn't have knowledge or whereabouts of said vehicle, why do i get penalized for its nonregistration. the dmv should go after the previous owner. he was the one in control of the thing. later, gary

Last edited:
I dont know but i have been waithing for the 'man' to start comin down on us rodders hard ,its just a matter of when and where first [my bet is california].
As edgy as every one is anymore ,i think we all fill something big is going to happen in the next few years.
We all have so much money tied up in our rods and when that happens we wont be able to sell nothing,i have seen this coming for a few years .
Yall can call me a ''hippie'' but i dont think this green thing is gonna be in the hotrodders favor? but i will admit that i like the direction that the green thing is going ,as fare as getting back to the hart of simple liveing and family.
If i had it to do over i would have built an underground home for sure [no heating or cooling to worrie about and low elctrice bill too] but back when i was growing up it was more of a fancy thing to have .
Anyways ,sorry for rambling.

From what I remember when I lived in CA you had to register your vehicle as non-operational when you weren't driving it. No charge but just a trip to the DMV. When you did go to re-register it and you didn't have it non-op they could charge you for previous years registration fees and penalties.

Just another of the many, many, many reasons I left that @$#!^$%%ing crazy state!

As far as I know, it's 50% more if it's expired. After 6 months to a year, it doubles. If the car is non-op, it's like $5, but it can never be driven or parked on a public street. Haven't heard the rumors about a 4 year penalty if it's fallen out of registration. Usually, if you buy a car that's not registered, it needs a vin verification and a Statement of Fact that the car wasn't driven, along with all the other paper work.

You all should move to Colorado! I registered my Toronado last week(it had not been registered since 2000), walked in with proof of insurance and a title and walked out with new plates for $56. No smog cert, vin verification, no BS. I like that.:D

Latest posts

Back