Car that can't be bought.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Do any of you have such a love for your car (or one of your cars) that it couldn't be bought regardless of the amount ? I'm not talking about if someone laid down a million bucks, but rather if someone offered you even twice what it was worth.

Reason I ask is that my Son Dan was telling me a story last night about the car show he went to last Saturday. A man came up and really looked his car over and they talked for a long time. He asked Dan if he would consider building him one like it and Dan told him we just do it for ourselves and that he couldn't do it to this level and still make any money because of the thousands of hours it takes, and even the amount of money in just parts and materials.

The guy left and came back later and said, "Would you sell my yours then ?" Dan told him it wasn't for sale and the guy used the old "Everything has a price" line on him. Dan told him there was no amount of money that would take it, and that any sane person would be willing to pay.

I totally got it when he was telling me the story. I have had offers to buy my 27 but it would like selling one of my kids. It isn't a car to me, it is a member of the family and I have a lot of memories and history tied up in it. Do any of you feel the same way, or is it just another car to you ?

Don

BTW, this is the car my Son won't sell:

fmshow3.jpg

For sure!

I have a 62 Nova convert. Bought it in 1984 in parts. My Dad helped me get it running then ( he passed away in 87 ). In 1993 I got married and wanted to use the car as our "wedding car". The future wife said "sure thing, but it needs paint.". So the 4 month thrash began. Painted it 2 days before the wedding, finished putting the car back together 3 hours before we had to leave. It was awesome to have a hot rod wedding. We taken it to Hot August nights, Hot Rod Power tour and various other family road trips. Between my wife and I, everything done to the car has been done by us.

It's not the car itself that would be hard to sell, but all of the memories associated with the car. Those can't be replaced.

That's a beautiful roadster BTW.

I can definitely appreciate both sides to this argument, I've been on that fence a few times, but most times I am someone who enjoys the build so much that letting it go is not as difficult.... now, the rat I am building now I would have a very hard time letting go of.

And there definitely are cars I wish I would have kept... young and dumb...

Recently, one of the guys we have coffee with, restored a '57 Chevy Convertible. He was asked if it could be used in a wedding and he agreed. He drove the bride to the church, then the bride and groom to the reception. While at the reception, the bride's Father said his daughter really liked the car and how much would something like that cost. He said he spend $75K. The Father of the bride pulled out a checkbook but my friend said he just finished the car and it wasn't for sale. The buyer said, "I can see you like the car, lets make it $125K". Well,,,,,,,,he sold the car.

Oh? For me, a car's a car. If the price is right, I'll sell.

Money talks in my life....

Currently I have 3 projects going on and if someone showed up with cash in hand...I would not think 2 seconds and any or all of them would be gone...it is only a car (or truck for that matter)...If I could get out what I had in any of my piles of rust I would say "get it outta here..."

I did not get anything from my father when he died (car wise)..so there is no history to anything I own.....

"show me the money" thats my motto...that goes for anything I own..including the house/garage (dump) I currently call home....I might even throw in the cats for the right price...

Not sure why folks get so attached to stuff...it is only stuff...

just my smelly old 2 cents

MikeC

My 21 willys rpu was built by my whole family, everyone helped in some way or another. No way would I sale it.

I also have the excavator that my grandfather bought new while starting his excavation business. It's a 1971 Massey Furgeson 450s that most would consider scrap but I use it almost daily and I think of my grandpa every time I run it. It's also something I would never sale. I hope to restore it once I get a shop that I can get it in and leave it in for awhile.

I have turned down offers on my old truck and just yesterday a freind of mine bought a 67 SWB Chevy and was asking me about selling him my current motor to put in his truck. Said the 350 was a dog. I said why not let me build him one and he would need the frame stands headers pullies ect ect so he said I will just trade you straight up my truck for yours...
He paid $4000 for the truck and spent another $1000 on paint/body work just last month, not to mention is has no cancer and my truck has licence plates covering holes in floor boards plus the rockers are rusted out inside the door seals and dents body molding holes ect.. I don't even have interior just 2 racing seats and a shifter.
It took me exactly 2 seconds to say no I will just keep my old junk :D I built it, I have too much time in it and pride to ever sell it.
A crazy offer like 1,000,000 will never happen but yeah I would take that lol

About 25 years ago I bought a 1967 chevy truck.Body was good,had 6cly+3 on the tree.I worked at a friends paint+body shop at the time.I worked on that truck when ever things was slow.I took it completly apart+and painted everything ,inside+out.I was looking for a new running gear+and I found a totaled Buick station wagon,low miles so I got it.To make a long story short,I made a Buick truck.I used as much Buick stuff as I could.It turned out great.One day a doctor came in the shop+saw the truck+had to have it.He loved Buicks.Made me a deal I couldnt refuse,I sold it-but I wish I didnt.I wish I had that truck today.I have not had the chance to build anything like that since then.

I try not to get emotionally invested in vehicles. Get to loving it, and some dink will drive over it for you. Life is to short for that kind of thing.

I've had people get surprised when I sold my stuff. Sometimes I just need to move on. Once I've build a vehicle and driven it to the point of needing another major overhaul, I'd rather build another one.

Sometimes it comes down to the business of life , and it can't be helped. Somethings gotta give.

gold03

since i build these cars for a living i can and will sell about anything related to them or the cars themselves if the money is right ( i only sell the ones i own lol). there are two projects i have that could never be bought for any amount of money. these two projects are ones started by my mentor that he would never sell, but he left to me when he passed away a few years ago. one is a belly tank project that he and his son had bought it the early 80s that they were going to build into a car, then his son passed way and it just hung in the rafters of his shop. he had always told me it was going to be buried with him. then a few days before he passed away i had gotten my first batch of belly tank shirts printed and gave him one. he had lung and stomach caner, so he told me it was deal. i asked him what he meant because the shirt was gift. he said it was a trade, a tank for a tank. my shirt for the tank in the rafters, the only rule was he didnt want to see it leave. he passed away 3 days later, and was buried in my shirt. the other is a 25 dodge boat tail speedster that he had started building about 5 years before i met him. it always sat in the barn covered with junk. i got that one to build in honor of him since we never got to build any cars together. he had cancer the entire time i knew him so we just hung out and shot the **** every week. so what better way to work with him in a sense than finish a car that he couldnt. and make it our car. other than those two things pretty much everything in my shop has a price tag.

I put heart, sole, blood and some times tears in mine...... My 67 Chevy slammed Dually, 58 rubbed Binder, 68 impala, 33 ford rat and my 50 Kaiser Traveler will never go anywhere ( my 82 dodge D50 will never go anywhere either) but I also get attached to them while building them........

Smutty

Last edited:
I was told through a third party that a guy was willing to pay 10 grand for my Olds. Couldn't sell it - it's not done to the point I want it yet. I might be more willing to sell if one of my Model A projects was on the road already. One on the road is worth two in the shop.

My car is nothing as nice as Don's or his son's but I have been asked if I would ever sell mine and if so how much. I just answer that yes there would be a price but I'm sure it's a lot more than any sane person would want to pay.

If someone wanted to pay me twice what any of my cars are worth... that car would be... GONE!!! :eek:[ddd

BoB

Old man tells me everyday to sell mine. Yesterday I got mad enough about it that I yelled at him and hung up. At the current point in time there is nothing that will buy my Dodge. Especially because I have not yet legally drove it down the road.... I have a hard time selling any of my projects, no matter what they are.... Most of the time I never sell them.

Latest posts

Back