chevy 216 oiling questions....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tattoocharlie

ok so i got the origina1 216 fired up(41 chevy)....prob hasnt run in 30 or 40 years,sat outside forever but i got her started last night.

quick couple questions....
1. theres no oil filter canister anymore(gone before i got it)i found the supply line(shot oil all over my garage floor)but where does the return go?

2. i pulled the valve cover(make sure the top end was oiling) theres a supply line that feeds the rocker set up(directly in the middle)(see pic....its a loop that is shaft mounted and returns into the head.)mine has been pinched off and crimped....is this an early mod to increase oiling to the top end?(rocker assembly)or did some ass hat just break it?the feed line is intact to the rockers,its crimped after making me think they wanted more oil to the top.i know back in the day hotrods were truly built not just pieced together so i wonder if this an early mod since the 216 suffered from low oil pressure.

ANY THOUGHTS?

Attachments

• 216 Oiling Crop Top.jpg
    216 Oiling Crop Top.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 21
there is a 1/4" NPT hole under the pressure regulator that drains back into the crankcase. The little loop piece just sends oil down into the lifter area to oil the lifters I suppose. (I haven't quite figured the logic of that yet) in either case, the rockers just barely get oil on a good day, but they don't need much apparently. Shouldn't make much difference that piece being crimped as the oil will run down there eventually anyway, but it might take a while. (note the barely gets oil statement above) Personally I would return it to the original configuration if you are using the stock oiling system, however crude it may seem, mine has worked for the 27 years I have owned it. BUT! on the new engine I am going full pressure and am not quite sure about this part yet.

Latest posts

Back