CHOP- cut off blade vs sawzall

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the small air saws myself.Easy to control,Yet small enough to get into just about anywhere.

Don,You may want to reconsider the newer chop saws with the carbide blades.These 2 models will cut up to 45 degrees.Nice straight cuts,No sparks,Cool to the touch right after cutting,No grinding required.All you end up with is a bunch of small chips as if you would when cutting wood right next to the saw.They will cut through a piece of 3/16's plate in about 20 seconds.It also dosent have all that abrasive dust flying all through your shop like normal abrasive saws do.

I know that Bonehead has the Dewalt model and I had spoke to him recently because I also wanted a saw that did throw all kinds of sparks.

I went to a Estate sale and bought the Makita. It is like new and still had all the writing on the blade as if it were never used and not even a scratch on it.For 150.00..The makita in the pic is just one that I grabbed from the net but you can see all the little chips that it makes on the saw.

These things are really good saws.

Dw872.jpg
Model #DW872

MakitaLC1230.jpg
Model # LC1230

Last edited:
I agree, I have the LC 1230, it is a sweetheart...:) It cuts so precise , and straight , its almost like a machined fit when joining parts. The blades last a long time also, I have a spare blade that a have redressed by a local guy who sharpens blades, (costs $20 )
I use a 4.5 grinder with a .045 cutoff wheel and the sawzall for most other cuts I make.
I keep my ole abrasive chop saw for hard metals and rough cuts.

Latest posts

Back