Couple a kids....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_Fear

Brother Rat
Couple a kids, 11-12 yrs old, were walking by the garage, didn't see me. One was whispering telling the other "Yeah this guys got some cool stuff...he's got this Monte Carlo inside (85 Cutlass) .... and out here he's got this old Ford (48 Olds) ... and I think he's got an old 50's truck too!" (63 Ford).

So he got it all wrong, but made me feel good. :)

I do think its funny that people get the 48 wrong when they're standing right in front of the big word Oldsmobile on the hood.

it does a rusty heart good to see some interest in hotrods from the younger crowd--even if they get it wrong on yr/make/model......

maybe you'll get a chance to help educate them a little, and make a lasting impression on 'em......

i tell people all the time if the WORST thing my kids do is get involved in hotrodding- i'll consider myself a successful parent:p

Most of the kids who walk by a hot rod at a show know it's a little different than what they are used to seeing, but every once in a while some kid will walk up and you can see that certain look on his face that tells you he is going to own a real hot rod some day. Sometimes I'll tell his Mom or Dad that he can sit in it if he would like and then you see them really light up...........another one hooked for life. :D

Don

gotta little work done on my 63 impala done this weekend, and my 9 year old girl and 7 year old son worked their tails off helping clean it up.

kinda gives me hope for the future.

There are several young men 16-18 years old in our neighbor hood that will call me up every now and then and ask if they can bring one of their friends over to see my cars. I don't have a problem with that at all. They have all been very courteous and ask permission to sit in the cars, or look under the hood. They asked very some pretty good questions too.

It's great to see some of the younger generation showing an interest in the old cars.

What's really neat is I was standing next to my friends old '49 Shoebox,with its 60 yr. old paint job and these kids were looking at it and the little girl said that it was old and it looked broken and needed to be painted and the older brother said - Naw, it's just the way he wants it, so it looks like a ratter.

whats awesome for guys my age im 17 btw, is guys like you that are so willing. You cant get this stuff out of a book. I have a teacher at the Highschool hes the drafting teacher but hes a hot rodder and id be lost on my 66 mustang if he didnt let me pick his brain after school when hes grading papers he ll even loan me some tools that we dont have. Its great cause my dad knows his way around newer cars since he learned out of neccesity but having someone show you how to use a dwell tach and change your points or adjusting the old drums with a brake spoon is priceless. Heck i wouldnt know what a rat was without him. so thanks guys for letting us around your precious rods and being patient with us.

One of my nephews who is not a gearhead, likles to stop by with his geargead friends and show them my hotrod. The just go nuts. Most of them have never seen an old car that wasn't a rusty wreck or an overdone easter egg showcar.

whats awesome for guys my age im 17 btw, is guys like you that are so willing........

I think most of us understand that there needs to be a future in our pastime.
Interest from a younger generation will insure that. (and keep the values up on our cars:D)

I like hearing stories of kids taking an interest in this stuff. My 12 year old daughter is learning makes and models. My 10 year old son hasn't caught the bug yet. I remember when I had my '61 Galaxie in the shop I was working at and a guy asked me "Is that Chevy a '53 ?" Floored me , 'cuz this was about ten years ago and the guy had to have been 45 at the time !!! I think HE needed to spend time hanging out in your garage, Sam.

Latest posts

Back