Crazy Idea?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

Soo I'm already itching for a new project.

I would like to do some sort of chopped top project but doubt I have the patience for a full steel chop. So I was thinking - what about a "fake" convertible, with a fabric top? I would build the roof out of tubing and stretch fabric over it.

It would look like a convertible but of course the top wouldn't retract. I would do it on an undesirable car like a '50 Dodge sedan.

This pic is what got me thinking about this. Frumpy grandpa Dodge to cool custom. Picture the top in fabric instead.

Attachments

• Chopped ply.jpg
    Chopped ply.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 150
Sounds like a fun project..the owner where I work built this one years ago, he used a fiberglass top off of a blazer, heavily modified of course..love the pastel paint from the early 90's..LOL:D frame,engine and complete suspension is the same color..

IMG_20120131_103825.jpg

Heres some cool photos of those.

Attachments

• P6280050-vi.jpg
    P6280050-vi.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 49
  • P6280049-vi.jpg
    P6280049-vi.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 49
  • P4130023-vi.jpg
    P4130023-vi.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 54
  • P4130022-vi.jpg
    P4130022-vi.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 44
  • CarsonTopOnMerc-vi.jpg
    CarsonTopOnMerc-vi.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC02578.jpg
    DSC02578.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMGP0671.jpg
    IMGP0671.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 48
I like threads that have the words crazy idea in the title.

I do find it Ironic a guy that builds speedsters from scratch thinks a chop top might be too much!?

Me, I'd probably chop the actual top and then turn it into a Carson Top. That way you get the curves and the chop, but you don't have to deal with the finish details on the bare steel.

Heres some cool photos of those.

Yeah it would be similar to a Carson, but not padded. You would see the ribs like on a convertible. Kinda like what that fella is doing in the 5th pic. Of course I'd have to make the ribs look nice b/c they would show through the fabric.

Sam - that sir, is not a bad idea either. I just hate bondo work and will do just about anything to avoid it!

scan0007.jpg

I've been collecting junk to build something like this. Except the roof would be as you described, Big Irish. It will be a cabriolet style with roll up windows and a tan canvas top.

I beleive the term you are looking for is a carson top. Isnt that the ones that lifted off in one peice? Or am I looking out of my Navel again....[S

I have use eastwoods body solder though and it is freakin sweet! It's SO much easier then bondo and the finish is metal.
Not to take the thread off subject, but you might look into this stuff.

Oh yeah? Did you use the lead-free stuff or the lead-based? Yes, I'm sure I would enjoy that more, but wouldn't want to use the lead-based.

WB3 - yeah that's the idea, it would look like the tops on 30's roadsters or old airplane wings.

Oh yeah? Did you use the lead-free stuff or the lead-based? Yes, I'm sure I would enjoy that more, but wouldn't want to use the lead-based.

WB3 - yeah that's the idea, it would look like the tops on 30's roadsters or old airplane wings.

I used the lead free kit. Surprisingly easy to work with. My buddy and I were both wondering why everyone doesn't use this stuff.

I used the lead free kit. Surprisingly easy to work with. My buddy and I were both wondering why everyone doesn't use this stuff.

Likely the biggest reason is that the starter kit is $200 when you can get a big can of filler for a fraction of that. It would be worth it to me though.

Do you have to use an oxy torch or can you use a plumbers propane torch? I don't have a set of torches.

Ok I found this. Looks like you can use a propane torch. Sounds like fun, now I need something to try it out on!

http://www.eastwood.com/lead-free-body-solders-soldering-tips-techniques-instructions

Still like the fabric roof idea though..:cool:

Yep! Thats the stuff! I pretty much ruined a motorcycle fuel tank that i welded a new flush mount tank cap in then welded so hot, it all folded in, so i used this stuff and made the thing look almost new! I even powder coated the entire tank afterwords! That should show how well this stuff works.

Alot of guys will say that Lead solder works better, but since i never used that before, i will never know, nor do i plan on finding out :rolleyes:
Being that i work in the Disaster Restoration industry, I am all to familiar with all the lead regulations and risks with working with it, and i plan to live long enough to enjoy the stuff i build :)

I'm still rather surprised at how little lead free solder is talked about on the forums (maybe the cost scares people away?!). I plan on using it to clean all the seams on my chop one of these days. Hopefully you like it.

I used lead solder on all my pillars and top quarters when I did my chop. Great stuff! I used a propane torch. Bought the Eastwood basic kit. The leadless needs more heat, but is sandable without health hazard.

Next time I'm gonna try the leadless. The higher heat may cause problems when doing a large surface like a roof or door panel. In the tutorial CD it mentioned a test (I think it was if you put heat to the metal and it bows inward, solder is not going to work well. - It might be the opposite?)

You also cannot weld on metal near solder - ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

Well this thread has certainly been sidetracked from cloth tops now hasn't it?! :)
33cafadb.jpg

You also cannot weld on metal near solder - ask me how I know. :rolleyes:
I learned that too! :rolleyes: gotta make SURE the metal is where you want it prior to soldering. But that's the same regardless of filler material.

I use a propane torch with Mapp gas. With the need for higher heat, Mapp helps. I don't think I would want to use an oxy set with this stuff. It would turn it to water and blow it across the shop :eek:

Here's a good 'sow's ear' that I think would look sweet with a chop. Turn that wrap-around back window into more of a mail slot or oval window, or small split window. '52 Chrysler.

This era of frumpy mopars can usually be had in good running, rust-free shape for about $3k. Much less if not running.

Attachments

• chrysler.jpg
    chrysler.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Chrysler 2.jpg
    Chrysler 2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 19
Something like that would look great with some kind of cloth top. I'm not big on carson tops, usually too fluffy. But a landau would work great!

Latest posts

Back