Dealing with people!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

So I've been trying to sell a 48 international truck that I have. Three days ago a guy contacts me and says he wants to try to make a deal. So yesterday evening we settle on a price and a delivery fee. Then this morning he backs out because the truck is a flat bed! How in the world does one not notice this?!?!? If I was any more annoyed I would just scrap the truck and eat my loss!

B7639AB6-EBCA-413C-9A31-ED1EE18DE47B-2328-000001258CDBB27A_zpsab9bec31.jpg

This is the very first pic I sent the guy.

I don't understand how someone can not value their own word when they make a deal.

NO scrap

please, do not scrap it. to hard to find old metal in decent shape anymore.

a little patience and some one will save it.

it took over a year to sell one of my projects 'couse people kept jacking me around.

l just got a thick skin and decided most people are idiots went from there til the right guy seen it. he drove 7 hours to get here and BOOM, cash, loaded and gone.

Later :cool:

I'm not going to scrap it but it almost seams worth it to not have to deal with idiots. I thought I had a cheap enough price on it with it being so solid that it would sell fast. It even has a title.

Parts for those KBs are coming up. Just the stainless off that grille would ebay for $3-400. Not saying you should part it but around here you can't give away a big truck in any condition and the parts sell real good.

don't scrap it. he probably told by his wife not to bring any more stuff home and used the flat bed thing so as not to look whipped by his ole lady.

The way you told the story, sounds like he committed to buy it just from the pics, didnt come see it. People that do that generally are full of sh!t and dont come through.

Cash when they come and look, delivery extra after the deal is made

He came and looked at it and even took his own pics. It was suppose to be going over seas to Europe.

Just like stroker said , some people are full of $hit !!!!!!!!!! They say they want it so you hold it for a few days then nothing happens, so you ask them and they say ... something come up but I still want it .. but they dont get it . you end up holding it for a few weeks then they say well I just cant get it something else come up now ..

I was selling a 46 the add said cash only. 2 different guys came over and wanted to pay half and a trade, I had said on the phone no trades also.

If it was supposed to go over seas then, his buyer didn't know it was a flatbed.
Or like has already been said, he's an azz hole.
That body style is my favorite years of Binders

Some peoples word isn't worth a darn thing. Had it happen many times over the years.
Most recently a member on another forum wanting a parts car I had advertised. At first wanted it no matter what, then a story about someone backing out of a deal so could only put a deposit on it and finally a BS story about a broken down furnace so no cash. A couple of weeks later I see them posting a new build thread.:rolleyes:

Some people amaze me. I had two guys at work today who came in for 6 spark plugs. I handed them the plugs and one guy takes one out of the box to look at it and he dropped it on the floor. He hands it back to me and says "Can I exchange this one for another one ?" I told him "So you want me to put this back on the shelf and F the next guy ? I didn't drop it , you did. "

Bottom line, I made them buy 7 spark plugs and they kept the one they dropped. :D:D That felt pretty good. [cl

Don

This isn't any criticism of you mate just an opinion related to the topic.
I generally don't like to make offers or try to seal a deal "on the come line"
I will throw out an idea as a possibility if the thing I'm expecting works out
I'm not ashamed to make an offer I can back up even if the guy said no in the ad.
Why? people change their minds a lot besides when I make you an offer I'm offering you something. it's not up to me to decide if you want or need what I have to offer it's only up to me to offer it
And nobody has to accept an offer do they?

I'm the one spending my money is it my fault if a seller wants what he is selling more than I do?
that is really the true value of anything...the point at which a seller wants something more than the buyer.
depending on what the sellers needs are he may have the liberty to work a hard bargain one day and be needy the next.
I just sold a used cement mixer worth about $300-$500 for $120 because someone who was riding along with a customer buying an engine from me... had asked about it, and that was all he had on him.... and I was a little short on buying an engine I needed. money in hand, deal done, 4.6 ford engine and tranny with 50k miles for my pickup @$600 now sitting in my garage after 2 years of looking for a good one.

The engine I sold and the cement mixer were gifts. I could have tried to milk every last penny out of them but then that would be small of me.
I would not have what I wanted and the other stuff I didn;t really need would still be in my way

Money isn't the only money... stuff is money too

Really, in the light of truth the guy wants your money on his terms not yours and he's mad when he can't get it.

The worst low ball and unwanted offers are still offering a benefit. you are establishing a base minimum the guy can stand in when negotiating with others. If he knows he has a guy ready with $500 and a dirtbike in exchange... he can try to work that guy offering $800 up to wards his asking price of $1500 more aggressively and with more confidence.
my general response to those guys who try to make the case you are wasting their time to put the shame on you is "look man, I'm not wasting your time... you were wasting your own time when you decided to sell something most people would see as worth nothing so don't try to palm off on my your regrets for failing to sell"

My general operandus is
to avoid being small.
be a gentleman
Speak kindly and confidently
expect more of people than their appearances
And don't let others drag you down when they act small...extend to them an opportunity and an open door to step up to being bigger than that.
In the greater picture this is the ultimate position of strength
Winning the arguement, getting even, putting yourself on a high horse or acting full of pride or self are all examples of acting small when in the wrong context

you stick with this and you will always come out on top and be standing on the high ground

Ronald Reagan was a lot like this

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back