Drag Racing Identifiction Question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrankShaft68

Just outside of my mind...North of the Twin Cities
Can someone explain what these letters and numbers on the door mean?

Attachments

• rgnl_drag_078.jpg
    rgnl_drag_078.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 41
That pic is from the late 50's or early 60's. The class is B/Competition Coupe or Sedan. The amount of engine set back and body modifications determine that it is in the Competition class. The "B" incicates that the engine size and car weight are in a specified bracket of "pounds per cubic inch".

That pic is from the late 50's or early 60's. The class is B/Competition Coupe or Sedan. The amount of engine set back and body modifications determine that it is in the Competition class. The "B" incicates that the engine size and car weight are in a specified bracket of "pounds per cubic inch".

Cool thanks Bro. Is there a website somewhere that breaks down all the classes?

Drag racing classifications change alot over the years, sometimes from one year to the next. I have searched the net for an archive of old rule books but have not found such. There were several different sanctioning organizations [NHRA,AHRA,IHRA, ECT] and each had MANY different classes. It was confusing and still is today and i think one of the reasons drag racing is not very popular with the general public. Most drag race spectators are actually racers with the day off.:(

Drag racing classifications change alot over the years, sometimes from one year to the next. I have searched the net for an archive of old rule books but have not found such. There were several different sanctioning organizations [NHRA,AHRA,IHRA, ECT] and each had MANY different classes. It was confusing and still is today and i think one of the reasons drag racing is not very popular with the general public. Most drag race spectators are actually racers with the day off.:(

Right on...I tried to search the info with no luck proir to posting this question. I think it would be cool to paint that on the door, but I would like for it to be as correct as possible.

Thanks for the info.

Here is a link to a incomplete but very good explanation through the years of the Gasser Class. Not Comp Class, but it'll give you an idea of how things constantly evolved. Even if it's not what your after, it's a interesting read.

http://gassermadness.com/Gas_Classes/index.htm

Thanks for the link...good stuff. I see how it can get more than a little confusing.

Last edited:
As Bob W said, it's a B/Competion Coupe. The "B" is a class breakdown of weight to cubic inch ratio. The number is just the competitor number as assigned by the sanctioning body. Every competitor had a different number. The cars in this class eventually morphed into long dragsters with a body over the drivers compartment. Look in the right column about half way down the page of this scan. This should also provide some information on other class designations.

Note that the Oldsmobile in the upper left of the page is a gasser. Many mordern day gasser know it alls would argue with you if you were to tell them that car was a class legal gasser.

Last edited:
As Bob W said, it's a B/Competion Coupe. The "B" is a class breakdown of weight to cubic inch ratio. The number is just the competitor number as assigned by the sanctioning body. Every competitor had a different number. The cars in this class eventually morphed into long dragsters with a body over the drivers compartment. Look in the right column about half way down the page of this scan. This should also provide some information on other class designations.

Note that the Oldsmobile in the upper left of the page is a gasser. Many mordern day gasser know it alls would argue with you if you were to tell them that car was a class legal gasser.

Thanks man. That is a lot of good info.

I can tell you that has to be pre-funny car, also notice there is no mention of super stock. It was considered part of stock eliminator then

Latest posts

Back