Elec powered rod!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Staff member
Admin
An old high school pal who owns a hot rod shop in Chappell Hill, Tx came by to check out my '41 today & said he's fixin' to build an elec car for one of his clients that owns a transmission shop. The client only lives 15 miles from work & thought it would be fun to jump on in there since that's probably gonna be more common in the future. Let me just say now... that's NOT in my future!!! I understand economy & all but I'm way too old for that kinda stuff & will go out listenin' to some sort of rip snortin' petrol burner or until they take my keys away! Anyway... I am curious & will try to follow along & report back if I can.

BoB

being economical stinks

I know what your sayin Tripper.I remember back when the 4 cylinder cars first came out I said I will never give up my V-8 daily driver but with work getting scarce in my town I have to drive 70 miles each way to work, guess what, yep sad to say I am driving a 4 cylinder but my only salvation is my V-8 Hot Rods.Now I am trying to find ways to put overdrives in them that will hold up to my lead foot without costing a fortune.I like to drag race my cars occasionally and drive them on the street and the 700 R 4 won't hold up for me.I saw one high horse turbohydramatic that cost nearly 8,000 dollars.Crazy.

Holy Smokes!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Remember that Monster Garage episode where they made the electric Chevy? It pulled a 17sec 1/4mi with a bunch of 18v cordless drill batteries. If you got serious equipment, you could get easy 11 seconds.

Just think of dustin' some Vette at a light and not making any noise except the squeal of the tires - ultimate sleeper there! But still not the same as a gas gulping, shake and shimmy cam'd up BB V8. ;)

I looked into building an electric car, mostly just for fun. Get an old civic or something else small & light, pack it full of batteries and they can be made fast.

Then I started checking into the cost. To make something quick enough for highway speeds, you're talking $10-15k easily. If you want something that will putt around at 40 mph, then maybe $5k.

Ouch. Hard to justify that kind of cost when you can pick up a used v-8 for a few hundred bucks.

Let me just say now... that's NOT in my future!!! I understand economy & all but I'm way too old for that kinda stuff & will go out listenin' to some sort of rip snortin' petrol burner or until they take my keys away! Anyway... I am curious & will try to follow along & report back if I can.

BoB

Can I say i'm way too young for that kinda stuff? I understand economy too, thats why they make straight sixes :)

I gave it some serious consideration until I found it cost way more than it's worth to build one. There are some really cool ones out there but I'll stick to gas burners.

Just think, 60% of the total energy consumed during the life of a vehicle was used just to manufacture it so our hot rods are GREEN!

Here's a nice one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpqvpqklyk0

I remember one on Ebay a few years ago. It was a 1951 Ford pickup that was Blue with yellow lightning bolts.

I was bidding on itbut it got out of my price range.

Latest posts

Back