Electric Cowl Help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banjoman

I dont know if this is the proper place to ask this but Im wanting to make my cowl vent open and close by an electric motor, Ive seen it dont but thats it, I dont have a clue on where to start. Have any of you guys done this on a cowl vent? Could i maybe do my hood too? Its on a 1946 International Pickup and the hood is pretty heavy. Thanks Bill.

Attachments

• cassies pics of 46 068.jpg
    cassies pics of 46 068.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 10
cowl vent.

A power mirror actuator will work for the vent,but as suggested early find you some back door van lift rods for the hood. Automatic hood,time to step away and think about that one.:cool:

I was just thinking that if Im too lazy to open the cowl then how would I find the energy to open the hood....lol

Newer model Chrysler and Plymouth minivans have electric/hydraulic tailgate doors and sliding side doors.
Find a rollover wreck and use that?

I plan on motorizing my cowl vent for a couple of reasons. Some of the motor choice depends on if you want the cowl to pop all of the way open or if you want incremental control. You can use a stepper motor which would require building some linkage arms, an actuator, a power window motor, a door lock actuator, a jack screw motor or even a power antenna motor. I still haven't decided but I am leaning towards a jack screw motor. Google "12v motors" or "hobby motors" and you should find some goodies for pretty cheap. If I ever get that far on my truck, I'll post some pictures. :cool:

What a straight KB...looks great.

Anymore pics? and what about them suicide doors?

As for the electric motor [S

Thanks Daman, here are a couple more pics. Been doing a little body work and someday gonna repaint the truck, gonna go back with flat black just do a better job on the bodywork and fine details. Love driving this thing around, gets alot of looks.

Attachments

• cassies pics of 46 020.jpg
    cassies pics of 46 020.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 16
  • cassies pics of 46 041.jpg
    cassies pics of 46 041.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 15
  • cassies pics of 46 071.jpg
    cassies pics of 46 071.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 16
  • FDX Shop Pictures 004.jpg
    FDX Shop Pictures 004.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 18
power cowl

A lot of the mini vans like nissan toyota ect. have power rear vent windows, it's a nice little compact motor and arm and you control how far it opens or closes with the switch, should be plenty of them in the scrap yards. I kinda like the way you think I may want to be lazy TOOOO :D:D:D

Latest posts

Back