electrified t

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatheadgary

with all the talk about gas mileage lately, i have been thinking about building a t bucket with batteries in it for around town driving. i picture it with a hood and pickup box, very light chromealloy frame and very light weight overall. with enough batteries under the hood and some more in the pickup box, it should get pretty good distance between charges. i was also thinking of a small gas motor and a large amp alternator to charge them when it's parked. or how about the pickup box lid being a large solar panel too. am i just spitting against the wind or do you think i am onto something?

Last edited:
http://www.zpenergy.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2312
100 mpg car, maybe something along these lines. If it was electrified I think about a 10 horse diesel
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kubota-Z482-Die...ryZ63945QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem with a 100 amp car alternator and some good batterys, plus some good solar panels.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...5&storeId=6970&productId=200306865&in_merch=1 It would make a decent unit.
That way you have the battery power for take offs and hills but the size of engine that is all you need to maintain cruising speed.
I think that the comet clutch set up would be simpler/cheaper to build.

Last edited:
Normal wet cell batteries would have a hard time keeping enough charge to get you any distance, the guys who are doing this are generally using lithium batteries, I think. There is also the weight factor, a typical deep cycle battery weighs 50-60 pounds, multiplied by 10 batteries that would be a bunch of weight.

I think it is a good idea, but you should do a lot of research on what is being done currently in this area before you start spending money.

Don

wow! i knew somebody would have some info on this. i figure that diesel engine would work great too! hey, how much hp and torque did model a's have and they will scoot along at 50 mph or so don't they? i would imagine gearing with trans and maybe a two speed rear end like the old columbia, would also help to get speed. i am not taliking about a 100mph fire breathing hot rod here! i just wanted something to drive to the store or the neighborhood cruise without getting run over by soccer moms in suv's. the only bad thing about the fuel is, it's more expensive than regular gas! luckily you don't need as much. i guess the question now is, how to register the diesel engine with a smog device. i would guess they have something on them, but to satisfy the dmv, ah, that would be the rub. as far as the car goes, if you could get it done as a 1915-1923 t you would be home free. i wonder if they did it as special construction, if they would make you put air bags and such, like a new car. i can't see how it could fail smog checks especially the electric set up. this will certainly require a more indepth investigation! as soon as i get done with the '50 chevy rat rod truckster and the henry j drag car and the '23 t v8 i have in the garage and the flathead powered dragster i am building and the vw powered rear engine altered drag car i have started and the mini '40 ford roadster pickup (vw powered rear engine) and the '46 ford flatbed just to name a few that are in the way right now.:D:D:D

Did you read the article on the 100mpg car? Anyway if you had it all electric you could remove the apu (that's auxillery power unit) for inspections and then re install it.
Model As are around 40 hp but it only takes a portion of that to maintain cruise speed. I think a 1200# car would cruise happily using maybe 12-15 hp. I don't have an equasion and wind/tire resistance would play in anyway.
Also with a simple diesel you can pour in 30% used oil in the fuel without any modifications at all so that would bring the price of fuel down .

Since it's for local errands, ever think steam! There a guy who runs around the Bakersfield Street Rod Nats with a steam powered buggy. He has gone on 50 mile cruises and it runs pretty good. I don't understand the technology but it's pretty neat. It has a locomotive steam whistle too. It was built in his garage. I believe he was a retired locomotive engineer.

I've toyed with the idea of buying a wrecked motorcyle and using the engine and transmission to build a very small, lightweight commuter car just for running around town. The only thing that scares me are all the idiot drivers who might run over me in their huge SUV's. :eek::eek:

Don

Latest posts

Back