Ever do something really Stupid and Embarrassing

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper

Canadian Rust Bucket
It's one of those deals, where years later I can laugh at myself. But if it happened to someone else, I could have laughed right away, like everybody else did!!

I was in my teens when was working at a farm equipment dealership. And being the youngest employee, also known as the low man on the totempole. I got all the choice jobs no one else wanted or would do. Fix manure spreaders, powerwash equipment, and change tractor tires, load them with calcium, to name a few. The only problem with tires, I got to be pretty good at it, so I got to do them all. I had a short handled sledge, with a 2 1/2 lb head that came in handy for knocking the last part of the bead over the edge of the rim. It got so when I was carting this hammer around with me, I developed a habit of giving the rear tractor tires a good swat with it. Being loaded with calcium and water they were pretty dead with no rebound. One day, a truck arrived with three new tractors on it. Now, new tractors are shipped with out any fluid in the tires, just air. Normally tractor tires had around 10 to 12 lbs. pressure, but when shipped they puffed them up to 20 lbs. While walking along side of the trailer and with no hesitation, I gave it a real good swat. Before you can say Whhaap-Bonk I had clubbed myself in the side of the noggin. Right at first, there was a sparkly little light show, then my knees buckled, and my legs turned to rubber. I grabbed the edge of the trailer to keep from going into a heap, and the whole time thinking, "Jeez, I hope nobody saw this". But they did. I knew right away it was witnessed when I heard, "What the hell are you doin?!!" I had a knot growing on my head that was making my hat tight. By now I'm thinking, I hope this whack to the skull kills me, cause if not, I'm going to die from embarrassment. Well, neither the bop on the bean, nor the ribbing I took killed me. That was over 40 years ago and I've learned to laugh at myself.... when the pain subsides. But to add insult to injury, I had a birthday a couple of weeks after this, and the guys in the shop bought me a rubber mallet with a red ribbon on the handle. Go ahead laugh, I'am. Sniper

That is a cool story Sniper.....

Never , ever done anything like that to embarass myself......

If you believe that, i have oceanfront property for sale in Utah.:D

I'm in denial and don't intend to take the lid off now
295174-1.gif

Last edited:
Haha, I did something similar when I was a welder. Had a project on my table I was welding, I had to hammer a lip upward a bit to get it in position for where I wanted to weld it. I'm whacking upward with my welding hammer (we used a stone mason hammer in the shop, it has a square face and a chiesel shaped deal coming off the other end.) The visegrip holding it on the table came loose and wham-o right in the cheek bone with the hammer head. Course everyone saw it, and as I was watching my vision slowly disappeared in that eye as my cheek swoll up. It was priceless.

Regards,

Rev. D.

Years ago , they had a contraption that filled a tire,air mattress - just about anything that needed air by pulling a spark plug, screwing in this valve and air line and starting the engine, using that one cylinder to pump air.. One of my brothers and I thought this was neater than snake poop, so we both got one. He went and set up his tent with the air matteress and removed one of his plugs from his bike and screwed in this valve and started the bike - Well, he got it filled up and proceeded to get 3 sheets in the wind - he went back to his tent to lay down and was smoking one of those funny cigarettes and then we heard a big POOF!!!!! and the blue tent got all bright and looked like a hot air balloon when it lights off in the early morning. Well, he passed out on the mattress and -HOUSTON WE HAVE LIFT OFF - We all rushed to see WTF and there he was looking like he just stuck his finger in a light socket - He was O.K., just a little frazzeled and singed around the edges - Needless to say I took my air mattress out and deflated it and threw it in the fire. No body thought about all the raw gas and fumes that the one cylinder pumped into the mattress.

I was working construction when I was about 18, working for a barn builder. We had been retro fitting a hog barn, putting in new slats and pouring new pen walls. I was putts'ing away putting the steel back up on the wall, when my boss and the owner walked in at the other end of the barn. I had a radio on that was rather loud in the next pen beside the one I was in. The boss yells down to turn it down, so without hesitation I go to hop the pen wall, and just as I crossed the top of the wall, realised the radio was actually 2 pens down, and the pen beside me was missing 2 slats (which had been broken installing them the day before), so a nice 8'x8' hole... I hit that and went another 6' down into the manure pit. Lucky for me there hadn't been pigs in this barn for about 5 years and what was left down there was pretty dry. Still made me feel like a dumb ass for sure, didnt help that the boss and owner stood and laughed and wouldn't get me a ladder to get out.

When I was young and dumb, I was working part time as a mechanics helper. I had become fairly good at welding so, One day my boss tells me to pull in a Pick-up truck to install running boards. Now this is the early 70's and you rarely seen running boards on a pick-up. The kit came with all the brackets and hardware. The brackets had to be welded to the frame to install. So I put the on the lift and figured out where the brackets had to go, Cleaned the frame off, mounted the brackets on the frame with c-clamps and went and got the welder. Hooked everything up but couldn't find the welding helmet..My boss said the other mechanic was using it with another welder to fish-plate some guys frame, So I took the goggle's from the torch set-up and used those (dumb move). What I thought was a 10 minute job turned into a 30 minute job. When I took the goggle's off I looked like a reversed Raccoon, RED FACE & WHITE around my EYES....The ribbing wasn't that bad, Cause my boss told me he did the same thing once. The really hard part was going to school and trying to explain how stupid I was. For a month my skin on my face kept peeling. Live and learn...:eek::eek:

It's one of those deals, where years later I can laugh at myself. But if it happened to someone else, I could have laughed right away, like everybody else did!!

I was in my teens when was working at a farm equipment dealership. And being the youngest employee, also known as the low man on the totempole. I got all the choice jobs no one else wanted or would do. Fix manure spreaders, powerwash equipment, and change tractor tires, load them with calcium, to name a few. The only problem with tires, I got to be pretty good at it, so I got to do them all. I had a short handled sledge, with a 2 1/2 lb head that came in handy for knocking the last part of the bead over the edge of the rim. It got so when I was carting this hammer around with me, I developed a habit of giving the rear tractor tires a good swat with it. Being loaded with calcium and water they were pretty dead with no rebound. One day, a truck arrived with three new tractors on it. Now, new tractors are shipped with out any fluid in the tires, just air. Normally tractor tires had around 10 to 12 lbs. pressure, but when shipped they puffed them up to 20 lbs. While walking along side of the trailer and with no hesitation, I gave it a real good swat. Before you can say Whhaap-Bonk I had clubbed myself in the side of the noggin. Right at first, there was a sparkly little light show, then my knees buckled, and my legs turned to rubber. I grabbed the edge of the trailer to keep from going into a heap, and the whole time thinking, "Jeez, I hope nobody saw this". But they did. I knew right away it was witnessed when I heard, "What the hell are you doin?!!" I had a knot growing on my head that was making my hat tight. By now I'm thinking, I hope this whack to the skull kills me, cause if not, I'm going to die from embarrassment. Well, neither the bop on the bean, nor the ribbing I took killed me. That was over 40 years ago and I've learned to laugh at myself.... when the pain subsides. But to add insult to injury, I had a birthday a couple of weeks after this, and the guys in the shop bought me a rubber mallet with a red ribbon on the handle. Go ahead laugh, I'am. Sniper

Yeah, I heard about that. AAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahahaha! [cl :D

usually every second day

id do some thing really stupid. like the time i had a large roll of hay on my truck. i couldnt push it off where i needed it. thought it over a while and said rick turn the truck around so it is not pushing up hill. well duhhh made good sence. i turned around and the bail rolled off the truck real easy like. barley had to push it even. the bad thing was geting the 1000 pounds of hay to stop rolling down the hill. ohhhhhhhh nooooooooooo it went over a bike smashed that all to heck then kept rolling through the fences, down they went. it finally came to a rest a while later after smashing every thing in its path. and yes i did set some pallets and such to stop it but i guess my math was off a few pounds. they acted more like a ramp....... the look on my face was not nearly as funny as the goates that just got out of the way of there dinner.[cl cant laugh at my self guess every one else can.. got tons more stories

was splitting fire wood

a few years ago using a good heavy maul or how ever it is spelled. while any was i was splitting away things going good the wood was good and cold so it has that nice pop you like to hear. i gave it a good swing and wack the maul stuck in the wood. crap i hate that. i bent over to get a better angle on it and all the sudden the wood no crap spits the hammer out with a crack and right in to my nose. it just spit it out and up, no hands ,no help, nothing but me looking at it. right smack on the nose. i guess my head was still a few feet from the wood and all. and the axe was stuck for a while too not like a bounce. never saw that before that day and i have split my share of wood too. well i saw it that day and it made me bleed pritty bad.

how about the time i was trying to time my sbc

i am vertically challenged so i have to get right up in the engine bay to do any work on my truck car what ever all most have to stand on a bucket to fix my harley... was fiddeling with the timeing trying to get it right and she backfired through the carb about the time i bliped the throttle. yup my short azz was looking right down all 4 barells of the rochester. now i have well ,,,,,had very,,,, long hair and do not shave. i am now on fire and i try to get out of there but my shirt got hung on the hood latch. finally just ripped the shirt from hanging there and fell loose. wife just happend to be out doors and heard the carb back fire and come around the house saying rick you ok?????? at this point i am just smoking now and she sees me all burnt up standing there .she says guess not huh? ok all turned out good had to cut my hair and shave the left over hair off my red face burns were not to bad . my coke bottle glasses saved my eyes but sure looked comical with no eye brows or lashes. alls well that ends well

ok one more than it some one elses turn to be laughed at

under the same truck that burnt me. was on a creeper that i got for christmass. long hair in a pony tail to keep it out of the way. rolled under there working on the tranny or some thing do not re that now. it was real nice on the creepen and not laying on the concrete for a change. well time to roll out for some top work. i rolled out and my head was sucked to the floor with a good wack. what in the heck happend ? now i am stuck with my pony tail wraped up all around one of the front creeper wheels. i mean stuck hard and fast tight like. i tried for a good while to get out of that mess and there sure wasen't any one comming out to help me. i guess i fought it for a good hour tried to just take a nap till some one found me .nope didnt work. just luckly for me i remembered i hade a blade in my back pocket. ended up cutting my self loose. went in the house with some punk rock looking emo hair cut fresh from rick the barber. now i have a cell phone with me at all times. hey did i tell you about the time i got my arm stuck in the header pipe on my 78 monte carlo and the wife was going to call 911? or when i had the three chain saws stuck in the same tree i droped on my barn or lol:)

Ok I will tell this one on my Uncle back in the olden days when my Uncle was young in MO.He was doing guard duty on top of the outhouse overlooking the watermelon patch with a shotgun loaded with rocksalt. He got sleepy,called it a night and jumped down unmindful that his Father had just dug a new hole and moved the excretorium over a little from its original position......

ok since were all family here....

when i was younger my dads house had a septic system in it... it needed to be cleaned , so we or i should say i rember digging about 6' down to find the tank....in top of the tank was an opening about maybe 3' round concrete lid... so my pop says take the lid of for the guy to clean the tank....ok did that.... the lower me a rope to get out .... were all standing at the top looking down into the tank area. we'll wouldnt luck just have its way with me the dirt lets loose and down i go.... through the hole openening i swear to this day i touched they bottom of that tank.....well they said i never hit the sides when i jumped outta that hole that day..... pop was squirting me down with the hose.... my friends and dad couldn't stop laughing for a couple of hours .... in fact my pop just brought that inccedent up to me a while back..... we laugh now but back then only they laughed i didnt see any humor in it....lol:eek::eek:

I love this thread, the air mattress and long hair posts are the best so far.

I was pretty stoned one night(back in the day)and had the munchies so I went looking through the cabinets. As I opened them one by one getting faster as I went along I opened the cereal cabinet and there was a mouse who was as frightened as I was. He quickly stood up and squealed as I slammed the cabinet shut against the side of my head and fell to the floor adled from the whole experience while my buddies cracked up at me.

ya funny thing about me there my pop after that he would say to me when i was in trouble he'd say boy your in deeper than that tank... just a saying between me and him but if he said that i was in serious trouble.....

A few years back I was leaving the local cruise-in in my nova my buddy was at the light in his firebird so I pulled up behind him. Light turns green he launchs his car so I was like what the hell and I stabbed the gas I caught him and got beside him but the next light was turning red so I hit the brakes and he keeps going. So I'm waiting and ready for that green light to catch him again light gos green then BOOM! my u joint explodes then the red and blue lights start flashing. I didn't notice the police car next to me he was in my blind spot he noticed a firebird and a nova flying down the road and decided to look into it. He figured my busted nova was punishment enough and let me off with a warning. After sitting for a few hours my car and I got a ride home.

Latest posts

Back