Ever have a day....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

When it seams like every tool in the garage seams to be against you? It took me 8 hours and a trip to town to build one junk header that looks like crap. The last two days have been very long...

Hey 21 Willys

My whole nightmare build went like that...to the point where I pushed it outside (Dec 2011)into the weeds and let it sit until I have the patience to deal with it again. I did find out that...
I am not nearly as creative as you guys are....
these projects will take forever..
nothing ever fits....
time is never on your side...
you will probably have to do most everything twice....
everything cost twice what we plan for...
So now almost a year has past...I am almost ready to resume on it again to continue on my rusty project...or at least until I get sick of it again...yuppers been there done that....
MikeC

My problem is I'm in a hurry, my local show starts tomorrow and I'm not even close. And my 11 year old is more excited then me. He wants to ride to school so bad it's killing him lol.

Here's the header...

7070F101-944F-46CF-93A1-E1C2D8CC86CA-178-000000846107CF0B.jpg

I started out making a set of lake style headers. After the drill press chuck gave up, the hand drill burnt up, and my bit broke I changed styles.

some days you just have to clean the shop and reorganize to find a peaceful moment to start again. Just keep at it, take a deep breth and enjoy the time you have with that 11 y.o. helper.
when life gives you lemons, make lemonade....

Seems like everytime I work on something that happens. I just walk away to take a breather and cool off. Come back calm and try it again

Join the crowd
Two weeks ago I bought a 92 S-10 for the tranny (700r4) by the time I had it out, my head got scuffed three time on the car lift, broke the tv cable, (I forgot to un-hook it) and spilled fluid all over the floor.
Not like I haven't pulled 100's of trannies :eek:
Running truck mind you. Cleaned it all up, painted it and installed it in my 40 Pontiac just to have it, loose 4th then 3rd, lock in second and quit, the very next day coming back from the car show.
Now got to do it all over again :(
Oh Well, Murphy's law [S

Old iron sounds like you had the Kickdown out of adjustment. Those 700r4s are very particular to proper adjustment.

2willys, that's true, I adjusted the cable before driving it but, doesn't mean I had it right.
Don't have a pressure gauge so, I couldn't check it that way.

In my passed experiences if you adjust it so that it's pulled all the way out when at wide open throttle they seam to work ok. I'm not saying this is the correct way, but it's worked for me.

Sometimes we have bad days, but it's still better than work!! on those days grab a cold one sit down and just think....it's safer.

In my passed experiences if you adjust it so that it's pulled all the way out when at wide open throttle they seam to work ok. I'm not saying this is the correct way, but it's worked for me.

thats the way i was shown to adjust them too. when i read the first post i had a theme song in mind, and it seems to show up for me at times, i know it doesn't really fit but it fits for me when i have a day like that, because i have to set down and cool off .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpUYjpKg9KY

ps sorry if the language is a little strong.

Hey 21 Willys

My whole nightmare build went like that...to the point where I pushed it outside (Dec 2011)into the weeds and let it sit until I have the patience to deal with it again. I did find out that...
I am not nearly as creative as you guys are....
these projects will take forever..
nothing ever fits....
time is never on your side...
you will probably have to do most everything twice....
everything cost twice what we plan for...
So now almost a year has past...I am almost ready to resume on it again to continue on my rusty project...or at least until I get sick of it again...yuppers been there done that....
MikeC

Welcome to the world of ..."build your own car"!!!
As it was stated before...we've all been thru it...hang in there though..that first ride makes up for all the aggrievation...

Seems like the more I try to hurry, the more stuff I tear up and the longer it takes me to get anything done..
My job is pretty stressful, so what little time I do get in the shop working on the project is purely for recreational purposes, not going to add the pressure of a deadline..

Somedays you crack the windshield and add that to the list of things you have to fix.

I think you need to give up on your deadline. Sometimes it's just not meant to be.

Somedays you crack the windshield and add that to the list of things you have to fix.

I think you need to give up on your deadline. Sometimes it's just not meant to be.

Failure is not a option. I don't care if I have to stay up til the show, I will make it.

Today has went mostly smooth. It should be running and moving on its own power tonight. I don't know about stopping tho.

Latest posts

Back