exhaust advice for chevy 350

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSchupp12

i have a 54 chevy truck with a 350 in it i wanting to do an exhaust system what do you all recommend to get a deep loud sound from?

Is it a stock motor? Are there any plans for motor upgrades in the future? How loud is loud to you? Loud for me is open headers on an 800hp small block turning 8k rpm.

Exhaust tone is such a personal thing, you really need to hear some different things to decide what you like. For me, assuming this is a stockish motor, some long tube headers (1 5/8" primaries) dropped into 2 1/2" pipes with a set of 40 series (not the Deltaflows) Flowmasters would take care of it.

The motor has cams, headers, intake manifold, and intake. I'm gonna keep it the way it is. I tried straight pipe and I didn't like the sound. It's 2" pipe right now but I'm wanting to go to 2 1/2". I just want a good deep rumble sound.

As stated earlier, exhaust sound is a personal like or dislike. Talk to different people and find out what they're running and if you like the sound....me.. the louder the better!!! :D Good luck....cr

I've got 3" pipes and 3" 40 series flowmasters on my 82 running a 10.00:1 rat motor with turndowns and it is LOUD.. 2 1/2" with flowmasters out the back to me give a deep rumble, but like everybody has said, sound is subjective..

Tim

This is my muffler of choice, it's a Lobak from Speedway
Item #91013983 3 1/2" spiral core [dr
I know it says not for street use [ddev but neither is open headers [dr
Don't mistake the Moroso brand they're not the same, the center tube on these are larger.
Every time I take my 65 Goat out I get asked what they are.
You might as well go to 3" the first time and have the muffler shop expand the end of your 3" exhaust pipe to fit the 3 1/2" inlet and outlet of these mufflers.
Please no one on here take this offensively but the Flowmaster's are everyone's choice and they do sound good but everyone sounds basically the same :)
Here's an offer you may not be able to refuse, if ya don't like them I'll give ya $100.00 for the mufflers if you'll pay the shipping to me cause, I'm gonna need another set for a new project I'm getting ready to start :cool:
Disclaimer I don't work for Speedway :D
Everyone is right sound is a personal choice [P

Jim

Attachments

• Lobak.jpg
    Lobak.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 5
hornie/cherry

a good set of cherry bombs or the old school purple hornies are always a good choice.

pretty free flowing and a rich deep sound.

Later:cool:

Flow masters need some pipe after the muffler. It doesn't take much...18" or so improves the sound quality a bunch. Also, running both pipes out the back helps too (vs turning the pipes out in front of the wheels on each side).

I've got 3.5" pipe from the the collectors to the sprint car spec flowmasters and then 3" pipe to the axle. It sounds good acording to a lot of people. ....Really deep sounding when you stick your foot in it.

My pipes are also straight (no bends after they leave the headers).

IMG_0448.jpg

I'm old school so I like "Smithys" whether the engine is stock or modified you can't beat the Smitties rumble...:D

The old favorite "turbo" mufflers are cheap and have a great sound to them. I think they were originally used on turbocharged Corvairs, but I think some Hemis had them from the factory too. I had a set on my Jeep with the 5.0 in it and they had just enough rumble to let you know there was something under the hood.

I've got a pair of them that I won at a car show years ago, saving them for some project, maybe my Fox Mustang.

Don

Did you try to run inserts in the straight pipes to change the tone?
6" inserts in mine made a huge difference. I took chrome sink drain pipe extensions and dimpled them with an air chisel. Them are flanged on the end and are hard to see in the pipes.

i have a 54 chevy truck with a 350 in it i wanting to do an exhaust system what do you all recommend to get a deep loud sound from?

If it's just a driver, the dual 2" is probably good enough for a truck. If you plan to wind it up, it's gonna be small. I say old burned out cherry bombs turned out in front of the rear wheels and the last section of pipe after the bend go up to 3". It'll give you a good rumble and a cackle when you punch it. Or run it out the back and make the last 18" upsized to 3" pipe - that should be a little less cackle. The bigger pipe at the end will give you the 'lows' no matter what muffler type you use, but a glass pack isn't much more than a glorified straight pipe.

I personally think Flowmasters sound best on things like Vettes, Musclecars, and Street Rods. Old school is glass packs or Smithy's.

Last edited:
Deep rumble is a chambered muffler sound. You can pick them up for cheap at auto parts stores from manufacturers like thrush. I tend to like non chambered mufflers since they flow better. I like the cherry bomb vortex mufflers.

Latest posts

Back