Extreme Chops

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aSome interesting lighting there. Looks like your on a movie set :)

Took that pic in the dark with the old reflector light above my garage door shining down....

254instantfumagationLarge.jpg

.....and a shop light in the floor shining up at me :D

I dunno why anyone would bother with 3" (chop). If your gonna chop it, make it obvious you did all that work.

Yeah, me neither.........I had a friend years ago with a Model A sedan that was chopped 2-1/2 inches :rolleyes: The Willys is chopped 6 inches but if I were to do it again I'd go at least 7.

I dunno why anyone would bother with 3" (chop). If your gonna chop it, make it obvious you did all that work.

Quite the contrary, sometimes a mild chop is what a car needs. The whole point of chopping a car is proportions. If a vehicle is chopped too much it throws them all out of whack. If the flow isn't right it doesn't matter how much or how little work you put into it. Sometimes doing all that work for a 2 inch chop is worth it it because it does what it is supposed to do - makes the vehicle flow so nicely that it makes people wonder what was done to it. When you have them scratching their heads as to why your car looks so good it's more rewarding than staring at a circus sideshow IMO. Sometimes the subtle things are the coolest...

Last edited:
Ah your right! I was picturing the grill off my 72 in that post. I ment to double check......but then I didn't :)
That thing is crazy! I like it!
Reminds me of the Rusty Wrecker.

That actualy could be any year from 67-72. 67-68 front end is a common swap. Unless you guys know the truck, my mistake

Quite the contrary, sometimes a mild chop is what a car needs. The whole point of chopping a car is proportions. If a vehicle is chopped too much it throws them all out of whack. If the flow isn't right it doesn't matter how much or how little work you put into it.

Hey you kids!, Get off my yard" :D

Sometimes doing all that work for a 2 inch shop is worth it it because it does what it is supposed to do - makes the vehicle flow so nicely that it makes people wonder what was done to it. When you have them scratching their heads as to why your car looks so good it's more rewarding than staring at a circus sideshow IMO. Sometimes the subtle things are the coolest...

Agreed! I have seen some great cars and trucks with 2 inches of chop. Sometimes a mild chop is the way to go,.... and sometimes you got to sneak over the edge. :cool:

That actualy could be any year from 67-72. 67-68 front end is a common swap. Unless you guys know the truck, my mistake

The small back glass wasnt offered in 69-72.It was mostly 67 but have seen early 68s with one. 67s had no side marker lights where the 68s did.The 67-68 front clips are often swapped to newer cabs because of their swept back hoods.

Sneaky, you wouldn't know any of the dimensions of the chop on the black
ford would you?? I'd like to do mine just like that!!
My guess would be, 5" in back and 6" in front, what do you guy's think??

No, but with the rake on it and fairly small windshield I would say around 5"-7"
maybe a little more.

Quite the contrary, sometimes a mild chop is what a car needs. The whole point of chopping a car is proportions. If a vehicle is chopped too much it throws them all out of whack. If the flow isn't right it doesn't matter how much or how little work you put into it. Sometimes doing all that work for a 2 inch chop is worth it it because it does what it is supposed to do - makes the vehicle flow so nicely that it makes people wonder what was done to it. When you have them scratching their heads as to why your car looks so good it's more rewarding than staring at a circus sideshow IMO. Sometimes the subtle things are the coolest...

Darn you and your good point! :)

I guess there is something to be said about a mild chop. Guess I'm a little bias since I took more then a little out of mine, but I see your point and can agree to that. :)

My 40 Pontiac is a mild chop.
Chopped 2 1/2" in the back and 3" in the front top is one piece and the a-pillars are leaned back

IMG_1026-1.jpg

IMG_1028-1.jpg

IMG_1172-1.jpg

This was my old '49 Ford. I don't know what the chop was, but this is as far as I would go. The one thing about chopped cars, they do get hot inside. I only drove it if the weather was nice and on the cool side. I drove it to the Mooneyes Xmas Show one year and the temperature got into the mid 80's. The wife and I cooked all the way home.
DSC01784.jpgDSC01785.jpg
DSC01786.jpgDSC01787.jpg

I kinda like, the longer the nose, shorter the back, the more radical the chop. It all revolves around balance for the eye appeal.

I've spent a lot of time trying to "ballance mine"
I think the key is a cab and bed of equal length, then a bed a little taller then 1/2 the cab.
But its all personal preference.

347c25c1.jpg
that is kind of what i think too. 6" chop, 9" section, just to look proportionate. yours looks good:)

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 46

Latest posts

Back