fenderless weight limit?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollingthunder

Does anyone,no if Illinois has a law where if a car is under a certain gross weight it is not requird to have fenders..I heard 1800 pounds... I got my car titles by just walking into the dmv.. With a hand built frame and a fiberglass body..unbelivable!!! but now im scared to get a 500$ ticket..

I would go back to DMV and inquire directly to someone in an authoritive position. Better to be safe than sorry! Good luck with your project.

thunder, google you local vehicle code, it should give you what you need. In Calif. it's 1500, thats hard to get, I'm at 1900 with my 45 CJ but i've got 1800 miles and no problem from the law enforcement community. (crossed fingers). I know what you mean about a $500 ticket,, here it's just a fix it. =)
hope this helps a little
soltz

Don't know why a vehicles weight has anything to do with fenders . Fenders keep water and debris from being thrown up in the air . I know there are some states that allow no fenders - except if its raining . More of a safety thing I would guess .

For years California had that 1500 pound rule, maybe they still do. It was VERY hard to build a car under that limit but some guys did it with engines like the aluminum V8 Buick motors, etc.

Don

Calif. vehicle code 27600: exempt from fenders vehicle manufactured prior to Jan. 1971 and less than 1500 lbs.
And yes thats tuff to do. Fiberglass body but then you have to ref. sp. construction and meet all current laws. That sucks:mad:

Latest posts

Back